"View New Content" Should Be Completely Redone

Shadow82x

Has the "View New Content" feature for IP.Board annoyed anyone else? This is one of the biggest downfall (imho) for IP.Board when compared to other forum softwares. A few things come into mind that I feel should be changed:

1) After you read a topic, it still shows under "View New Content." It should only show unread topics and content.
2) There is no easy way to view "new replies" to just your content. The search page should have 2 selectable links: "View Unread Content" and "View New Replies To My Content" which will make it easier for the end user when he or she has a reply to a topic they posted in. (Similar to how SMF works, users *really* love it.) This could go where the current "Mark All Items as Read" is.
2) The layout. To prevent clutter, things like the forum it was posted in should be moved below the topic title.

I know it's not just me who is annoyed with how this works, so please in 3.2, can IPS change this? I hate comparing IPB to other softwares, but this is one of the biggest things that have annoyed me and made me look back.

Keep in mind, many forum users only use the view new content for forum navigation. They usually surf/read posts then go back to them to reply. With them gone they have to go search them out. It was a complete PITA when it was like that to begin with and it was changed to this format for a reason.

2) There is no easy way to view "new replies" to just your content. The search page should have 2 selectable links: "View Unread Content" and "View New Replies To My Content" which will make it easier for the end user when he or she has a reply to a topic they posted in. (Similar to how SMF works, users *really* love it.) This could go where the current "Mark All Items as Read" is.

Select 'My Content' from the dropdown menu on your name in the upper right corner and look for topics in there that have new replies.

I like the way it is and use it constantly. I really hope they don't change it too much.

I don't. In fact I think viewing new or recent content was better in IPB2. Matt has already said they are going to fix it up in 3.2. I can't wait.

3DKiwi

1) After you read a topic, it still shows under "View New Content." It should only show unread topics and content.

That's actually the way I prefer.... I don't like new threads to disappear on me. A lot of time I read a thread and didn't have any idea what to reply yet until later, which I won't be able to find the thread anymore. Sometimes I just want to return to the thread and re-read the thread. I like it the IPB way.

A lot of people complain about this feature when in fact it does exactly what it SHOULD do and SHOULD NOT be redone.
Viewing new content shows the NEWEST content on the board, regardless of wheather or not the viewer has read the content or not.

I'm gonna say this again, for like the 10th time. What you want is a "View unread content" feature. NOT to redo the "View new content" feature. As to your claim that this is the biggest downfall for IPB towards other forum software solutions, I'd say that's a load of crap.

In phpBB this feature is called "View unanswered posts" which is the feature you want added to IPB(except IPB would most likely call it "View unread content"). phpBB also have "View new posts" that behaves exactly like IPB's "View new content", e.g. a topic doesn't get removed from the list because you've viewed it and that it's not "unread" anymore.

vBulletin on the other hand does this the way you want.

Select 'My Content' from the dropdown menu on your name in the upper right corner and look for topics in there that have new replies.

Thats true. However, what I'm looking for is just a list of unread topics that have new replies. One of the biggest and best features in SMF.

Archived