Give notification for + rep

G Fox

Do you find it annoying at Facebook too? Because they throw up a red notification bubble anytime somebody likes your content, and as far as I can tell, there is no way to opt out ;)

I use my phone for Facebook mostly, so I don't get inline notifications. I am never notified, except when I visit my notifications menu, of a new "liked post". I am notified of people posting on my wall and people replying to stuff I posted or replied to, but not when content I post is liked.

Just fyi.

Yeah, that depends on how you use the word "notified". It can mean different things.

Facebook adds a +1 red bubble/notification in your menu when somebody "Likes" something of yours. This cannot be turned off.

You can optionally receive an email when somebody replies to something of yours, tags you, etc. That can be turned off.

Those are really 2 different types of notifications. IPB has similar divides.

That thinking goes to solving a different problem: understanding and getting some analysis on the past rep.

The notification per positive rep is instead about encourage more participation.

To be honest that wouldn't motivate me to post more. Like many others I don't really care about the reputation points. It's just a number.

What encourages me to post more is the "user has quoted" your post notification. It let me know, for example, that you replied to my post so I could follow up. Before I found it a bit of a chore to keep up with topics/posts. Not I get a notification about it with a link that allows me to easily carry on a conversation.

Not every forum is as busy as this one is. If only.

On many boards, it really isn't all that difficult to keep up with new posts, etc. On such a board, the main goal would be to get to the place where there were enough posts to sort through.

I doubt most people here would be that impressed by reputation. But to a person who may have been lurking at a small board for a while before making their first post, it means acceptance. Once you are able to make a person feel comfortable and as though they belong to your group, you have just moved that person from the lurker group to the contributor group. Not easy to do on most forums.

...But to a person who may have been lurking at a small board for a while before making their first post, it means acceptance. Once you are able to make a person feel comfortable and as though they belong to your group, you have just moved that person from the lurker group to the contributor group. Not easy to do on most forums.

That's a really excellent point.

• 11 months later...

Archived