ACP Link, Open in new window

Mercury5

They did it this way because it's suggested for sites to leave it up to the user whether to open it in a new window or not. I forget if it's actually specified in hxtml or where exactly it was recommended. Personally I would rather it automatically pop up though and I think IPS did make some other links automatically pop up still.

Where abouts in the skin can I find the part to edit? :)

It's in Global Templates > GlobalTemplate and its approx 35 lines down

Find:

<a href="{$this->settings['_admin_link']}" title='{$this->lang->words['admin_cp']}'>{$this->lang->words['login_to_acp']} &gt;</a>

And change to:

<a href="{$this->settings['_admin_link']}" "target=_blank" title='{$this->lang->words['admin_cp']}'>{$this->lang->words['login_to_acp']} &gt;</a>

Regards

It's in Global Templates > GlobalTemplate and its approx 35 lines down

Find:

<a href="{$this->settings['_admin_link']}" title='{$this->lang->words['admin_cp']}'>{$this->lang->words['login_to_acp']} &gt;</a>

And change to:

<a href="{$this->settings['_admin_link']}" [color="#FF0000"]"target=_blank"[/color] title='{$this->lang->words['admin_cp']}'>{$this->lang->words['login_to_acp']} &gt;</a>

Regards

You made a small mistake in ' "target=_blank" '. It should be: target="_blank" So change from:

to

<a href="{$this->settings['_admin_link']}" target="_blank" title='{$this->lang->words['admin_cp']}'>{$this->lang->words['login_to_acp']} &gt;</a>

The removal of the Popup (using target=_blank) is because they are moving forward with web-design and the target attribute in XHTML 4.0 compliant sites is not allowed. <_<
http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/standards-compliant-world

Just so you know.

The removal of the Popup (using target=_blank) is because they are moving forward with web-design and the target attribute in XHTML 4.0 compliant sites is not allowed. <_<

[url="http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/standards-compliant-world"]http://articles.site...compliant-world[/url]

Just so you know.

I'm just replying in general but only admins can see the link thus guests or bots can't validate whether the link is formatted correctly. So that means the intent of that link falls back on to IPS and their reasons for not opening in new window. Most likely some customers, not us in the forums - You know the one's that call in may have complained about the link opening in new tab *cough* lol :P

No, the XHTML specifications do not allow for the "target" attribute on anchor tags anymore. Full stop, end of story. There's really little to it beyond that.

We've added an alternative which you can enable in the ACP for external links (using javascript), but the only reason we don't use target anymore is, as I said, it's not allowed using XHTML strict.

Archived