Quoting Of Deleted Posts

TestingSomething

Would be good if a post is deleted all of the posts quoting it will have the quote change to "deleted post" or something of the sort.

Hoenstly I have not even checked to see if currently the quoted post is stored as part of the new post or not. i suspect it is... which would mean a big change if this is implemented, but I think it still makes sense.

I've eben on one site in particular where if a post is deleted those who responded to it and quoted it will indeed have this done. Because if someone uses bad language, for example, you can't go through a topic finding hundreds of responses and editing each post to take it out.

I haven't looked in the DB at what is currenly stored, but really all that even needs to be done is keept rack of posts it's tracking (which I assume it already does in some form or another since it has the buttons to click to go to the quoted post) and then do a check to be sure the post is still there or visible or whatnot.

Not really. I told how easy it would be. Eh I guess the query would need a join or else a new field storing the quote part in the same row with the post though. And if you have embedding of quotes then it would be more of a nightmare I guess.

All I know is I saw a site do this. As it is now it's a nightmare too, it's a nightmare to any admin who would have hundreds of people quote a bad quote before noticing it.

I imagine it would be a nightmare because directly quoted posts wouldn't really be that hard because it'd be in the same topic, but to scour the database for other posts that refer to it wouldn't be quite so easy. I imagine that the amount of work involved, not only in finding the matches and validating them, but also properly modifying the posts would take it's toll, especially if there are lots of posts.

It'd probably be easier just to do an optional search of posts quoting the original, then that way the admin could optionally edit/delete those new posts.

Keep in mind that this would only find posts that have the proper quote markers. If someone just quotes the contents only, then it'd also defeat the purpose.

Well if something isn't done then you would have to pretty much wait for someone to report potentially hundreds of posts.

Couldn't one solution be that you have a table where it keeps track of ids corresponding to the quotes and there be some page to quickly have all posts which had quotes from now deleted posts in them?

Of course someone could manually change the quote to a fake quote too. I don't know. I agree there doesn't seem like much that could be done, but someone could make it very annoying if their post kept being quoted. I'll be sure and have moderators if I ever get a site active because I know I sure don't want to be spending my own time dealing with it. lol

Well if something isn't done then you would have to pretty much wait for someone to report potentially hundreds of posts.

Couldn't one solution be that you have a table where it keeps track of ids corresponding to the quotes and there be some page to quickly have all posts which had quotes from now deleted posts in them?

Of course someone could manually change the quote to a fake quote too. I don't know. I agree there doesn't seem like much that could be done, but someone could make it very annoying if their post kept being quoted. I'll be sure and have moderators if I ever get a site active because I know I sure don't want to be spending my own time dealing with it. lol

The most I could see being of use without getting overcomplicated would be to do something similar to generating a report of posts that have potentially quoted the deleted post. Then those reports could be used to look over the posts to determine what needs to be done with them. This report could be compiled by using the original post number, author matching the quoted data/time, matching random words from the original post (perhaps the 5 largest words to help eliminate false positives). But this would still be better as a mod, at least at first, to be able to test out different theories until a working concept is found.

I thought this should be easy to implement since there is a already a notification sent whenever someone quotes your posts. So, the information is already stored in the database.

That's only if the member chooses to be notified of being quoted. Also, it currently doesn't include multi-quotes and someone could just copy part of the post and quote it manually.

Wolfie that's what I basically meant (in the post you quoted, not my original post) is have a page to sift through some which may have the quote. Still an iffy type of setup, but maybe they can think of something that would help at least to some extent.

I'm just thinking ahead. I myself barely get any people posting anyway so for me myself I thus far have no use for it. Although I am probably making a new site soon.

I thought this should be easy to implement since there is a already a notification sent whenever someone quotes your posts. So, the information is already stored in the database.

When you originally quote someone's post, that id is passed in the URL so we know at that moment in time exactly the post id (and can retrieve the data) and so on. After the post is saved, however, all we could do is start looping through every single post in the database, extracting, then parsing the content to look for the post='1975212' part of the quote tag. This would be extremely resource intensive, in current form. A new system to manage quotes would need to be built, and it seems like a lot of time and effort for a relatively small feature.

An option for 'easy' implementation would be to not include the quoted text in the post, but refer to the database entry of that post, then, when the post is deleted, the quote will show up empty. Not sure on how resource intensive this would be...

It does make a lot of sense though, referring to the actual post in the database rather than including the quoted text in the new post...

You are assuming that one has used the "quote" button to quote the individual. Many of us use copy and paste as well, typing the quote tags manually. Especially if we're just using a small portion of what was originally posted.

I don't see this as a feature that is desirable, especially from a resource standpoint on how hard it would nail a larger database.

If you type the quote tags manually then there's no possibility of having your board 'find them' other than 'browsing' the whole topic looking for the whole or parts of the post, that would be madness.

Most people use the quote button though, I think.

(This is not an issue at our forum though, I can only understand it would be a problem when a topic gets like 100 replies in half a day or so...)

But to keep inappropriate material from being in a lot of quotes doesn't seem like relatively low payout.

Blah maybe I'll make something myself, but like I said I personally don't need it unless I get a site really active.

The just do a search for that inappropriate quote specifically. If one person it telling another that they're a female dog and that the other person can suck their stick, then a search for a couple of words would bring up any posts that have those same words in them. Simple enough. Hard to implement as a feature though, because how would the board know which words or phrase you want to search for?

An option for 'easy' implementation would be to not include the quoted text in the post, but refer to the database entry of that post, then, when the post is deleted, the quote will show up empty. Not sure on how resource intensive this would be...

It does make a lot of sense though, referring to the actual post in the database rather than including the quoted text in the new post...

You're assuming that someone is quoting the entire post. If someone only wants to quote part of the post, then your idea would fail. That's why the quoted content is included in the post, because it's much easier and makes more sense to do it that way.

Also, keep in mind that someone might quote a post (or do a copy/paste as mentioned earlier) and then chop out the quote information. Sure, searching for the post ID would help find some results, but it wouldn't find them all, which in turn would have people complaining that the feature isn't working correctly. That's beyond the resources needed to do that small amount.

When you originally quote someone's post, that id is passed in the URL so we know at that moment in time exactly the post id (and can retrieve the data) and so on. After the post is saved, however, all we could do is start looping through every single post in the database, extracting, then parsing the content to look for the post='1975212' part of the quote tag. This would be extremely resource intensive, in current form. A new system to manage quotes would need to be built, and it seems like a lot of time and effort for a relatively small feature.

There are some benefits of having a table that "links" posts together though. If you had a simple two column indexed table that referred to the post id of the new post and the id of the quoted post (one record per uniquely quoted post) you could do a lot with it. For example you could look up posts that quoted yours throughout the forum. The new notification feature that tells you when someone quotes your post is very helpful. Would be even better if you could lookup posts that quotes yours even after the notification goes away. Initially building this table might be a bit intensive at first, but once you get it going it might not be too bad.

Yes, good point Luke. It would be an interesting feature to quickly notice who all quoted you too. Sometimes I do want to go into a topic and justs ee who all quoted me where I can respond to them and on busy sites there are so many pages I give up and stop reading through the topics.

Also yes people can bypass it by manually adding quote tags and whatnot, but if they do that do you really think everyone ELSE quoting them will do it? Nope. Those people will do direct quotes. The main offender may do it, but their post will be gone easily after being reported anyway.

Only other solution other than searching them out would be to hope people report each one I guess, but they're not likely to report a quote of a bad post and rather will only report the post itself usually.

Anyway, I just wondered about this because I saw on a newspaper site it does this. On that site you can't put quote tags though or multiquote. You can't addd your own quote. You can only click a button that automatically adds a comment as a quote. When the comment is removed it then changes every comment which quoted it and has it say it was removed.

Archived