The Things my users are screaming about

Myr

I am now running IP.Chat 1.0.0 on my site. The following suggestions are based on what my users are screaming loudest about:
1) Private Chat, which has a great implentation in the IP.Chat 1.1.0 version. So, no worries on this one. I'm just putting here because they are screaming about it and I keep telling them soon.
2) Ability to change font size (globally, per user). I've got a fair number of chronologically challenged folks on the site and they want to be able to adjust the font size to their comfort level.
3) Font Colors. They want to be able to set their own font color and have it remembered.
4) Make the chat window "floatable". This was a feature with the java-based chat service we switched away from. Many people undocked the chatroom like an IM client and used it that way.
5) Per message timestamp. and, if possible, tie the time to the user's timezone.

Most of the users like how fast it goes and that it will work on their mobile devices. So, overall, they are happy.

Myr

Can I add one to the list (assuming this isn't already on the to-do list) - some form of indication that other people are currently typing / composing a message. ATM you can't tell if they've popped of to make a coffee, or are busy writing War and Peace in reply to you ... :thumbsup:

2) Can't the browser handle this already (i.e. in Firefox if I hold CTRL and scroll up or down, it makes fonts bigger or smaller).

3) No comment

4) You can open the chat tab in a new window already. Right click the link and choose open in a new window.

5) Yes, per-message timestamp is a feature in 1.0. Just enable it in the settings.

CycleChat) That would be pretty resource intensive I'm afraid. While it would be nice, in theory, I don't think it's something likely to happen in the immediate future purely due to resources. Most chat "rooms" don't do this (one on one chats do, but most chat rooms do not).

2) Can't the browser handle this already (i.e. in Firefox if I hold CTRL and scroll up or down, it makes fonts bigger or smaller).

That's true. But, as I mentioned chronologically challenged. They are also Technologically impaired. It is easier for them to have a button to press or a drop down box to select from. We can get around it. I'm just passing on the noise that I'm getting.

4) You can open the chat tab in a new window already. Right click the link and choose open in a new window.

Yes. I meant a conditioner where you get a stripped interface of ONLY the chat window. Not all the other real estate of the forums. (which eats a lot of screen space)

5) Yes, per-message timestamp is a feature in 1.0. Just enable it in the settings.

I'm guessing that it is the setting that says "condense time" in the ACP. I'll test it later. If that is the case, it needs to be clearer, as that is not clear at all.

We'll make do, of course. I think most of the complaints I hear will go away when we're able to use IP.Chat 1.1 live.

Archived