Download: Bouncy Mail

AnthonyKinson

Have a look through the first few pages in this topic about changing your hashbang and setting up the pipe for different control panels.

I would, except that it is cPanel and the pipe is working fine (in terms that it accepts the data... The mail is delivered but the server still sends that ;)

The behavior is essentially only happening when an attachment is included.

I've also attempted multiple edits to the post file.

For reference my paths are

/usr/local/bin

:/usr/bin

:/bin[/size]

`On a side note, there should be a method included to drop attachments when an NDR is issued so it's not thrown into the NDR as RAW code which can crash a lot of clients... And encoding could probably be better when storing it as a file :P

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could someone explain what makes this email system "Bouncy"?

If an email is unread after a few hours, does it send another copy of the email to a different email address? Sort of an auto/smart forwarding system?

Bouncy is just a App prefix, all of my apps start with Bouncy, Bouncy radio, Bouncy Xbox, Bouncy Mail and so on. working on changing that though.

I would, except that it is cPanel and the pipe is working fine (in terms that it accepts the data... The mail is delivered but the server still sends that ;)

The behavior is essentially only happening when an attachment is included.

I've also attempted multiple edits to the post file.

For reference my paths are

[color=#1C2837][size=2]/usr/local/bin

:/usr/bin

:/bin[/size][/color]

[color=#1C2837][size=2]

did you create the directory for the attachments to be stored in, and set the path correctly in the settings?

its a silly prefix and makes absolutly no sense, dont worry about it :lol:

plus, it was originally named IP.Mail, and the reason for that, was because i didnt want people to think that "Bouncy Mail" was some sort of system for bouncing emails, so i was expecting the question at some point down the line :lol:

Bouncy is just a App prefix, all of my apps start with Bouncy, Bouncy radio, Bouncy Xbox, Bouncy Mail and so on. working on changing that though.

did you create the directory for the attachments to be stored in, and set the path correctly in the settings?

Yes (I'm also root on this box to)

I can even confirm the files are being inserted into the directory, and the user receives the email body + attachment. As a precaution I recompiled Apache with PECL and Memcache and verified the files are actually there.. The original bash that was in the file works as well

post-126919-092288700 1275020397_thumb.p

let me know if you want me to inspect anything in particular.. The only reason I've commented on this is as I said the strange behavior with the bounce while the pipe works

the only time i had problems like that was when the CHMOD on the post_office.php was not set properly.

i've noticed on my system that some large emails fail with a memory exhausted error, i didnt get the email in my inbox though.

I'll do some debugging and see what i find, if you do find the answer please let me know so i can address it.

the only time i had problems like that was when the CHMOD on the post_office.php was not set properly.

i've noticed on my system that some large emails fail with a memory exhausted error, i didnt get the email in my inbox though.

I'll do some debugging and see what i find, if you do find the answer please let me know so i can address it.

Will Do, I'm going to move the site to a dev box and try running it with apache/php in debug to see if it can throw up what call is making the issue happen

If you want I can PM you access info so you can view the setup.. Don't really mind giving you sudo if need be

I've also increased all memory constraints to as high as I can (PHP Scripts can consume 256/mb even knowing the files are sub 5mb)

Oh and the post file is 744

in that case it sounds exactly like the problem i was having with the memory exhausted problem, only happened when attachments were sent, and for some reason the script was trying to use more than 40mb of memory for an attachment that was less than 1MB.

I'll see if i can come up with a fix, and see if that also resolves your problem, saves me routing around in different system setups.

Updated flag icons and made greyed out version.. toggle switch to come when i figure out how.

post-114836-053004000 1275058685_thumb.p

also at some point i'm thinking about adding a pinned email feature, which will allow you to pin important emails at the top of the list, same way topics are pinned. think this will be a very handy feature to have... thoughts?

Also, i think a must have is to disable links and images in emails unless they are in the safe senders list, i've setup a Bouncy Mail account on my server with an email address that recieves a crap load of spam every day :lol: holding out well so far, but one thing that was missing was that images and URLS were not disabled.

Updated flag icons and made greyed out version.. toggle switch to come when i figure out how.

post-114836-053004000 1275058685_thumb.p

also at some point i'm thinking about adding a pinned email feature, which will allow you to pin important emails at the top of the list, same way topics are pinned. think this will be a very handy feature to have... thoughts?

Also, i think a must have is to disable links and images in emails unless they are in the safe senders list, i've setup a Bouncy Mail account on my server with an email address that recieves a crap load of spam every day :lol: holding out well so far, but one thing that was missing was that images and URLS were not disabled.

Also making it so email can be read if no subject is applied would be good :P

i didnt think you could send emails with no subject :lol:

i'll just do a "No Subject" in place of it if its blank, that way it can still be clicked ;)

:P outlook warns you.. Also it appears to discard the attachment (although records size) if you include an .msg file

I still haven't figured out the bounce thing... Or why it's complaining about the memcache extension

One main actual design flaw I could think of is storing the RAW message source in the database, including the attachment source.. I've included one of the entries from the bmail table. Keep in mind this is configured with storing it in a file.

So that tells me

1) The configuration is not being completely respected so it uses both
2) This is by design, and should probably be changed as on active boards that have this would cause a lot of issues and could make this unusable on a shared server :P

:P outlook warns you.. Also it appears to discard the attachment (although records size) if you include an .msg file

I still haven't figured out the bounce thing... Or why it's complaining about the memcache extension

One main actual design flaw I could think of is storing the RAW message source in the database, including the attachment source.. I've included one of the entries from the bmail table. Keep in mind this is configured with storing it in a file.

So that tells me

1) The configuration is not being completely respected so it uses both

2) This is by design, and should probably be changed as on active boards that have this would cause a lot of issues and could make this unusable on a shared server :P

Ahh yes, this could actually be the issue relating to the memory problem, i completly forgot that the email source would also contain the attachment source.

However, there will definatly be an option to store messages to files, both source and the "message" i just didnt get round to switching it on yet. Basically there will be a simple setting to save email data to files or in the database. (think the setting is actually there but it doesnt do anything just yet)

Hmm, in all honesty I find it unlikely that a 4kb file should be causing php memory use issues during the database writes... then again I haven't really gotten to going through the code with a fine tooth comb (nor do I want to :D)

Luckily my contract with my VPS Providers gives me about 15 hours a month of code debugging time from their engineers ;) so I figured why not use that! if they find anything I'll definately shoot you a PM with the details of it.

If it's just a issue with specific builds of Apache done via EasyApache /WHM than I am just going to suppress anything with that context in it from being sent out of the MTA

Ok i just sent a test email to my test account in bouncy mail with a 10.0KB image attachment.

Seemed to be receieved instantly

%7Boption%7D

%7Boption%7D

however, when i just sent another email with 2 large images totalling around 900KB they were not recieved...

Wierd thing is when i was testing attachments using IP.Board 3.0.5 i was able to send 4MB MP3 files without problem.

Weird.. I get the attachments despite their size so the pipe is working at least on my side just any PHP related errors even if it has nothing to do with it gets throw back to the original sender (my assumption is the pipe returns any errors thinking its an NDR no matter the context)

it could possibly be a problem with your Hashbang in post_office.php sometimes it will work and the email will be delivered, but the error email will still be sent, if i remember correctly, this happened to me in the early stages of the app last year while i was trying to figure out the correct hashbang to use.

yeah, only problem with the pipe is its very sensitive, any response to it directly (such as an error) will cause a bounced email to go back.

I've been up all night doing some tweeks and changes to how a few things work which will hopefully make things run alot more smoothly. Going to test it out later today if i get enough finished.

Fixed a few more bugs, one of the main ones was the Usage chart showing Y-grid values of Zero when there was no usage which causes the chart to become deformed. Y-grid values will now always be a value of 10 or higher based on the highest value over the last 7 days.

Also started work on the Ajax module so i can start adding some of the features that have been requested such as toggle buttons, also i'm "testing" some drag and drop controls, which for example would allow you to drag an email from your inbox into the trash can, at the moment i'm just testing this out for my own entertainment and to see if its practicle to use it or not, my main gripe with having a feature like this would that its not immediatly clear how to use it, so chances are it wont be included.

I've decided that i'm going to concentrate on getting the system "feature complete" for now, then iron out any server specific bugs afterwards.

Once i have all the main modules in place i will release Beta 2

Archived