Grace period for edit feature.

Gabriel Petrelli

I continually have members inquiring about implementing a grace period for edited posts. What is meant is that when a member posts a reply or a thread and they go to edit the post/thread to add additional information, it won't show as being edited so long as they edit it within the first few minutes or so.

This has been a feature of Vbulletin for the longest while and something most would like to see added to IPB, it shouldn't be too hard to add it in for the 3.1 release considering that a public beta isn't even available yet.

I have seen sites that use this and yes it can come in handy but it can also be annoying for members. One thing I have seen it used to provent is upset members going through all of their posts and deleting or editing the content before they storm off the site.

If the OP does not mean Grace period for edits like my post suggests he did then what does the OP mean?

He's saying that the admin should be able to set an amount of time during which the "Edited by" text won't appear if a member edits their own post. Like if a member edits their post within 2 minutes of posting it the edited by text won't appear.

AH so not a grace period for the edit it self but for the edit by.

Now that is an idea.

It's already a feature to determine how long someone may edit their post after they made it. Just not how long before being forced to have the "edited by" text applied.

I rather like the idea. Because then you could allow members to remove the text, but only for a few minutes.

He's saying that the admin should be able to set an amount of time during which the "Edited by" text won't appear if a member edits their own post. Like if a member edits their post within 2 minutes of posting it the edited by text won't appear.

Exactly and my apologies if it was suggested before. I've been getting inquires from my members regarding this and I have to keep telling them that IPB doesn't have this feature yet.

Exactly and my apologies if it was suggested before. I've been getting inquires from my members regarding this and I have to keep telling them that IPB doesn't have this feature yet.

No need for apologies. I provided the link so that it shows there are others asking for it, to help support the idea even more. :)

I had remembered seeing it, so I knew to look for it. ;)

Archived