Switch from Rich Text to Regular Editor

Shadow82x

That's not what he's saying - the problem is that all the buttons are disabled. If someone wants to add, say, italics, but they don't know what the tags is, they can't hit a button to have it inserted.

To be fair, I was expecting uproar from my members about the RTE, but they've actually not mentioned it.

If someone didn't know what the tags were, why are they using the code editor?

If someone didn't know what the tags were, why are they using the code editor?

Sometimes the RTE isn't available or feasible to use in a user's current environment.

I think this feature should be re-added asap. Not only due to potential environmental restrictions, but it's also more reliable to get the exact content desired by typing in code, and sometimes RTE can be messy. It's similar to why there is sometimes a preference to hard-code websites instead of using a visual editor.

Sometimes the RTE isn't available or feasible to use in a user's current environment.

...Like when?

The new editor has much wider support than the old both in the number of browser's supported (it works with IE6 which is quite a feat in itself) and accessibility, meeting W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 and Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act (29 U.S.C. 794d).

The new editor allows you to format posts as you like, including support for custom bbcode buttons to be added to the editor. If you do not want these formatting options, there's even a button to turn them off.
Creating a third, adhoc solution seems unnecessary.

...Like when?

The new editor has much wider support than the old both in the number of browser's supported (it works with IE6 which is quite a feat in itself) and accessibility, meeting W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 and Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act (29 U.S.C. 794d).

The new editor allows you to format posts as you like, including support for custom bbcode buttons to be added to the editor. If you do not want these formatting options, there's even a button to turn them off.

Creating a third, adhoc solution seems unnecessary.

The accessibility is great. However, as you seemed to realize, there are still rare situations where the RTE might not be feasible, including on very outdated browsers.

Also, to reiterate, sometimes hard-coding is preferred, because it's a more reliable way of manipulating content.

I don't think most people here necessarily suggested there should be a third solution, just an improvement on the Regular Editor, which is to enable formatting options.

I don't think most people here suggested there should be a third solution, just an improvement on the Regular Editor, which is to enable formatting options.

...except that requires a 'third solution', because CKEditor cannot do that itself. Although it may not seem like it, it would be a fairly complicated thing to implement, and I'm still not sure there's much point.

...except that requires a 'third solution', because CKEditor cannot do that itself.

Given CKEditor cannot do that itself, a 'third solution' might indeed be required in the way of a modification or an alternative editor, true.

Overall I like this editor enough to be happy with it, and I mostly use the RTE. It just seems odd that formatting options have been stripped away from the non-RTE side of things, at least partly because using the non-RTE has advantages over using the RTE in some cases, and I doubt it would consume many more resources if it were implemented. If the developers of CKEditor have created formatting options for a RTE it should be easy enough for said developers to implement formatting options for a non-RTE.

As others have also mentioned, it's also strange why CKEditor does not have a "text" field in the hyperlink prompt when it can significantly facilitate the creation of hyperlinks with minimal additional consumption of resources and since it seems relatively straightforward to implement.

Everytime one of us says that, an IPB coder dies.

It's pretty good as it is. It's odd that in 'off' mode the buttons don't insert tags, but it's not a disaster. Although the switch icon does look like an eraser.

ipb are doing great, but they can tweak this issue only. not to gray out the options! i know ipb tries its best to be different. but its not always what people want. just saying..

My only gripe about the new editor is that it is still very buggy. The pop ups don't work like they do on the CKEditor demo and features like adding a number list simply don't work properly yet. I really hope most of the editor bugs get fixed in the up coming release. Other than that it's a great new feature.

Well, I'll step up and say I flat out hate the WYSIWYG implementation of CKEditor.

It seems to make redundant tags with every new paragraph (nature of the beast, I guess), scramble terminating tags on edits, and generally fubar posts.

The only reliable method of posting is by using the dinosaur "regular mode", and that's made into a real hassle without the ability to use the toolbar.

Archived