Status updates in 3.1

.Ian

We seem to have an overload on status updates. LOL

It would be nice to be able to specify (either as admin or as users (ideally both)) to only display directly inputted ones, or also show facebook or twitter or show all of them.

not saying it isn't good - but I can see users moaning if they are used to one or two updates and one person is very active on twitter or facebook - the status updates will get dominated easily.

Also we are likely to get all sorts of posts LOL

I think having tabs for it is a really nice idea. A tab for Twitter updates, facebook updates, user updates, and staff updates.

I like this idea tabbed ones and make default for the board updates instead of facebook.

I like one tab. Gives users a sense of ownership in the forum and it's less clicking (users are lazy).

One suggestion would be to limit the status updates per user depending on X...

In other words--
A user's status update can be from Twitter/Facebook if he has X amount of posts or has visited within the last X days. Otherwise the only status updates that will be shown are from the board.

I guess it would probably be easier to only allow Twitter/Facebook status IMPORT permissions to be set if he has X amount of posts or has visited within the last X days.

• Management

I agree (with the OP). I intend to split up the user prefs to:

[] Import my (Twitter|Facebook) Status
[] Update my (Twitter|Facebook) Status

And have the 'Import' option controlled by a per-group setting. So, in effect, you can switch off all importing from Twitter and Facebook.

• Management

Well - I'm a fan of tabs but I think to split up status updates from a stream into a tabbed area is a little pointless. I'd rather remove the twitter and Facebook imports and just show them on the user's profile. I think you either want them there or you don't.

I can see legitimate concerns about spam and such which is why I'll add the option to restrict user groups from importing from their service.

not asking for tabs

simply saying that if an admin allows members to post twitter and facebook updates the user can turn them off from being displayed.

For example here we have foreign language twitter updates that to be honest could say anything - I personally would rather just read the manually inputted ones - however the next person might like them all.

For smaller boards it would not be an issue, but for busier ones it could be.

Likewise admins should be able to disable by group (primary and secondary please)

Matt i have a question.
A member can example not delete a profil comment, but delete status-updates comment?
Would not it be better to make it so, such as profil comments?
Perhaps it would be feasible if one could specify a time target to delete?
The problems is example that correlations information is destroyed when simply can exercise whenever deleted.

• Management

I can't recall where else I've seen it requested, but Rikki has tidied up the status updates page a little. It now has the text boxes 'hidden' with a link to 'Add a comment' to clean up the page.

Archived