Ticket Support and Timing

A Walk in Faith

Ok, there have been numerous topics talking about how slow support is, and how it takes forever to get anything done.

Well I just had to use a support ticket for the first time I wanted to share my experience with everyone..

I have a IPB site I am working on and will be transferring the site from my vB install to IPB in April. I had an issue yesterday (Saturday) and issued a ticket.

I explained to them this site was in preparation to be transferred in April but I had run into a problem. Here is the run down to response time.

Their 1st response at 11:30pm Saturday night My response back at 11:41pm Saturday night Their 2nd response at 12:04am Sunday morning My 2nd response at 1:15am Sunday morning Their 3rd response at 1:44am Sunday morning - Problem solved

Ticket issued at 10:32pm Saturday night

Now, all of this happened in a matter of 3 hours and 10 minutes... My site was back up and running. This happened on the weekend on a site that hasn't even gone live yet!

I have to tell you, I am impressed with the way they handled this issue and it makes me feel so much better as a client getting ready to switch my live vB site to IPB in two weeks. I feel or sense a support system backing me and my site.

You guys (IPS support) get rack across the coals all the time for slow responses, so I wanted to share with you a good response! Keep up the great work!

Jamie

• Management

You guys (IPS support) get rack across the coals all the time for slow responses, so I wanted to share with you a good response! Keep up the great work!

I'll be the first to say sometimes we mess up. No one is perfect. But when we do we work to correct the problem.

Other times an issue is complicated and takes a while to solve. Some people just aren't willing to see the difference between a "normal" support request and those that require research and investigation into the problem :)

You will see the occasional topic here about slow response times but everyone should keep in mind our staff answers literally hundreds of questions a day in the support tickets so it goes without saying that, now and then, something can fall through the cracks. Obviously we don't want that to happen either so the support staff always works hard to get things done.

Now, all of this happened in a matter of 3 hours and 10 minutes... My site was back up and running.

OMG that long?!? Don't they know that they're supposed to fix problems the instant the ticket is submitted?!?
/impatientidiotbabbling

The above rant was brought to you on behalf of all those who have no concept of the fact that IPS has a large customer base and the company is made up of employees who are HUMAN and therefore are subject to error, fatigue, etc.

Speaking from personal experience, I've opened tickets before, though I don't believe I've needed support for a board that's stopped working. Nonetheless, good experiences. Yes, it seems like forever while waiting for the ticket to get a response, but that's just a perception and not a reality.

Glad you got to see how reliable they really are. :thumbsup:

[sup]The above rant was brought to you on behalf of all those who have no concept of the fact that IPS has a large customer base and the company is made up of employees who are HUMAN and therefore are subject to error, fatigue, etc.[/sup]

I'm not subject to error :P

Ok, there have been numerous topics talking about how slow support is, and how it takes forever to get anything done.

People have a higher tendency to report when something doesn't go well, compared to when it does go well. On the one hand, as Charles said we have hundreds of tickets a day, so it's not plausible that every one should come and say how great their experience was. Of course, on the other hand, people can get a disproportionate view of the average experience when you only see negative experiences posted. So thanks for sharing your positive experience. :)

[sup]The above rant was brought to you on behalf of all those who have no concept of the fact that IPS has a large customer base and the company is made up of employees who are HUMAN and therefore are subject to error, fatigue, etc.[/sup]

I'm not subject to error :P

You're also not human. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I don't mean to bump a old topic, but had a question related to the hundreds of support tickets that are opened each day.

If someone has gotten support and their issue is resolved, is it a good move on the customer's part to reply with a "Thanks, everything is working now!"?

I've always wondered if the support staff like the show of gratitude or if it adds yet another ticket to look at and takes away time that could be spent on open tickets.

If someone has gotten support and their issue is resolved, is it a good move on the customer's part to reply with a "Thanks, everything is working now!"?

I've always wondered if the support staff like the show of gratitude or if it adds yet another ticket to look at and takes away time that could be spent on open tickets.

I think a ticket will be automatically closed if it's waiting on customer action and some time has passed (a few days or so at least). However, when I have a ticket open and the issue has been resolved, I tend to give thanks and close the ticket. Don't know if it's ever read, but at least it takes the ticket out of the active list so they don't need to wonder if things are done or not. Not sure if it really makes a difference to them, but it's better than having an open ticket.

I don't mean to bump a old topic, but had a question related to the hundreds of support tickets that are opened each day.

I started an extremely similar thread a little while ago. The consensus was a quick 'thank you', click on 'close ticket', then click 'send' might work out best. At least that is what I've started doing.

Thanks, guys. I've been a IPS customer a long time back (started in '02) but them moved away as my first forums joined a network of sites that uses a proprietary forum software [which isn't anywhere near as good as IPB]. So I've not really used IPB since either 2.0 or 2.1.

But I'd recently started a project using MyBB [which is really pretty good in its own right, to be honest]. But the decided it was time to jump back into IPB's world. So I acquired a license over the weekend and converted things over first of the week. So I'm still getting my feet wet back in all things IPB/IPS.

Since you asked, unless a ticket is "open" we will not see it. A lot of people reply just to say thanks (especially if replying via Email where you of course don't have the option to mark it resolved) - when we see this we just mark the ticket as resolved ourselves.
I've had some enthusiastic and creative ways of saying thanks before which are always appreciated :)

Since you asked, unless a ticket is "open" we will not see it.

Does "open" include tickets waiting on customer action? If so, then it would definitely seem best to close a ticket if it's been resolved (as a customer).

Does "open" include tickets waiting on customer action? If so, then it would definitely seem best to close a ticket if it's been resolved (as a customer).

No.

I really wouldn't get too hung up on it ;)

No.

I really wouldn't get too hung up on it ;)

Okay cool. I know for some companies, a ticket is open until it's resolved, regardless of if it's waiting for customer input or not. Just didn't like the idea that support would see open tickets and not be able to do anything about them. But that's good to know, then I can idle next time instead of rushing to close it. :)

Archived