"Add Friend" icon misleading

Bryan Sammers

Do you mean the image of the person with a plus sign on it?

Yes. I only see the person. Therefore I think it is the "go to profile" link.

If there is a "+" or not, I do not care. Can be that it is a "customer person" as they are shown with "+" on the forum start page who's online list.

To me it is a blue person with a little green plus like the one for the rep system but much smaller.
When you hover over it it does say add friend, the name it self is the link the the person's profile.
Not sure how it could be changed to make it clearer, specially with out causing more confusion.

To me it is a blue person with a little green plus like the one for the rep system but much smaller.

When you hover over it it does say add friend, the name it self is the link the the person's profile.

Not sure how it could be changed to make it clearer, specially with out causing more confusion.

You just display this icon only if the text is put next to it.

Ah okay, my members ask me questions "how do I register?" They are not that good with technology. But they more likely think that way: "hey, a user icon-> it must be the user profile" and click on it. That there is a "hover text" technology - they do not know.

How do your members ask you how to register until after they have registered to be able to ask you how to register? :blink:

There's only so much that can be done to dummy-fy the features/functions until you reach that point of, "If someone can't figure it out by now, then they have no business using this feature."

Reminds me of that joke where someone calls in to WordPerfect support and in the end the customer service rep told them that they're too stupid to own a computer.

You could always skin it out yourself? I really don't know what else can be suggested without adding text to every single button.

I can customize IPB like I want with PHP / MySQL and template editing. I know that..

My suggestion was to only put this icon on the member profile page with the text.

Just because you misinterpreted its function doesn't make it misleading. I think it's pretty clear, but if it's not, just mouse over it. A great amount of computer functionality is explained with a mouse-over. Besides, it's a pretty standard practice across any website with member profiles that clicking on the user's name brings you to their profile.

Ahh, now I think I understand. You want the "add as friend" option to only be available in the user profile and/or have descriptive text next to that icon everywhere it is used globally.

Using that logic, the next step would be that all the globally used icons such as the online indication, quick pm button, view gallery button, view blog button, etc... should all have the same descriptive text next to them as they have in the profile or only be available in your profile view. Those icons are used all over the place to indicate the same functions.

I understand how you could get confused if it was the first time you used IP.Board, but, it took you one time clicking on the icon to figure out what that icon does. The use of the same icon to indicate the same function globally was done for a purpose. Everywhere you see that icon you now know what it does.

I am going to have to vote that idea down.

Using that logic, the next step would be that all the globally used icons such as the online indication, quick pm button, view gallery button, view blog button, etc... should all have the same descriptive text next to them as they have in the profile or only be available in your profile view.

With all the other links (go to blog, write pm)

1. you do not finish an action without noticing you, you can go back with your browser. Or you can cancel it. however if you click on the "add friend" link, you finished the "add friend" process.
  2. And you get not "you just added user abc as a friend" message.

An alternative would be have a "Do you really want to add user abc as a friend?" question like facebook. Or get a "You just added user abc as your friend. Reclick on the icon to undo it".

*Clicks on the + or - buttons* Are you sure you want to give a reputation point to this post?
*Clicks on Reply button* Are you sure you want to reply to this (post/threat)?
*Clicks on members name* Are you sure you want to view this members profile?
*Clicks on Multi-Quote buttons* Are you sure you want to quote this persons post? (or Are you sure you want to NOT quote this persons post?)
*Clicks on link to register on the board* Are you sure you want to join this community?
*Types in login name to use* Are you sure you want to use this as your sign in name?
*Clicks on link to view a forum* Are you sure you want to view the topics in this forum?
*Presses the power button on the computer to start it up* Are you sure you want to turn the computer on?
*Puts plug into outlet* Are you sure you want to plug the computer in?
*Tries to breathe* Are you sure you want to breathe?

I think the point is made.

Archived