Suggestion: Auto Promote on X Topics

Phillyman

I like the feature of being able to automatically promote members once they have posted X number of times......but I would really like it if I could choose to promote them on X number of Topics. I would rather have my members create 10 new topics, then require 25 posts. Just a suggestion :)

Oh spammers would LOVE you. Create 10 new topics advertising their products and poof, they get promoted. :D

Seriously though, that could be nice. So long as it could be required that the topics be APPROVED topics and not just total number of topics.

Oh spammers would LOVE you. Create 10 new topics advertising their products and poof, they get promoted. :D

Seriously though, that could be nice. So long as it could be required that the topics be APPROVED topics and not just total number of topics.

LOL, nah its not like that. I promote on the 25th post from Newcomer to Member. This allows them to create Blogs, Gallery Albums, IP Downloads, it also gives them a bit more control around the site. I just would rather have 10 decent topics then 25 crappy replies like....

• Oh I agree
  • This is Awesome!
  • :)

LOL, nah its not like that. I promote on the 25th post from Newcomer to Member. This allows them to create Blogs, Gallery Albums, IP Downloads, it also gives them a bit more control around the site. I just would rather have 10 decent topics then 25 crappy replies like....

• Oh I agree
  • This is Awesome!
  • :)

Topic#1: Hiya!
How is everyone?

Topic#2: Great site here.
Wouldn't you agree?

Topic#3: w00t!
:)

They could include their own signature when they post, instead of letting the board do it for them.

Look you......I am sure that these concerns were posed when someone suggested "Auto Promote on X Posts", I am just asking for a variation of the already existing promotion system. Don't make me release the flying monkeys to take care of you!!!!!!

Look you......I am sure that these concerns were posed when someone suggested "Auto Promote on X Posts", I am just asking for a variation of the already existing promotion system. Don't make me release the flying monkeys to take care of you!!!!!!

Just pointing out the the 'drawback' of X posts also applies to X topics. If you look at my first response, I actually agreed with the suggestion.
:P

That's a good suggestion, and if you make a limit of at least 50 characters and you want they don't include their signature, it is as easiest as not saying there are a limit of 50 characters...

And if then they ask, so easy to answer that only logical answers counts...

:rolleyes:

That's a good suggestion, and if you make a limit of at least 50 characters and you want they don't include their signature, it is as easiest as not saying there are a limit of 50 characters...

And if then they ask, so easy to answer that only logical answers counts...

:rolleyes:

If they manually include their signature, then it'll end up counting to the character limit anyway. If they have a signature that automatically gets included per post, that never gets counted as it's dynamic and not really part of the post itself. The point I was making is that there are easy ways to defeat systems to require a character limit which in turn makes it easy to bump up a post/topic count. It's a drawback that can't really be controlled by programming, but rather by individual decision making.

I can see where some admins might prefer a member to make new topics instead of only new replies, so the overall idea is a good one. Just the goal of making a person post more (via topics) to not let them get away with useless posts (replies) isn't that good of a plan. Person makes a topic and a few words in the topic and suddenly they got a count in their favor even if the goal and result were to make a meaningless topic for the sake of getting that topic count.

Still, as I said before, I think it's a good idea and makes sense to me, which is why I responded to give it support. :)

Archived