CJOIN-0 error :: Please Read

bfarber

We are aware that some users are experiencing an error with the beta release of IP.Chat when trying to launch the chat room

[#CJOIN-0] There was an error connecting with the chat room. Please notify an administrator.

This error is NOT related to the browser you use. The error indicates that you managed to connect to our gateway server fine, but had trouble connecting to the actual chat server.

Please note the following:

• We are aware some users are experiencing this error and are troubleshooting it presently. There's no need to submit any more bug reports on it, or open new topics about it (though feel free to reply to this one if you wish).
  • There is not likely anything you can personally do to fix this issue, so don't bother looking for settings to change or templates to rebuild, in an attempt to correct the problem.
  • In *most* cases, if you simply refresh the page you will be able to access the chat room

We understand that any error prohibiting you from actually making use of the software can be frustrating, but this is exactly what a beta release is intended for - to help us identify issues that crop up in uncontrolled environments that we aren't seeing in our controlled environments. Please be patient while we work out the various bugs you are finding with chat. We are sure you will be very happy with the final product, and we thank you for taking the time to test chat in it's current stage so we can nail down these problems and get them fixed before it goes final.

I will update this topic once we believe we've found a solution so that you can test further. If you are not experiencing the problem, feel free to continue testing chat otherwise. And as stated above, generally a simple refresh of the page will allow you to proceed past the error.

Potential Fix:

This has had limited testing. It won't cause any harm, but I can't guarantee just yet that it will fix the problem either.

For those of you experiencing the CJOIN-0 error, open admin/applications_addon/ips/chat/modules_public/ipschat/chat.php

Find (line 566 for me, but may vary)

curl_close($ch); return $data; }

$data = curl_exec($ch);

and change to

curl_close($ch); return trim($data); }

$data = curl_exec($ch);

There's a couple other changes I'll make to try to avoid this issue in other circumstances, but if you feel like testing the fix and letting me know if it stops the errors for you it would be helpful. :)

Post patch, I got the error when I didn't clear cache but after nuking them for both Firefox and Safari and restarting them, I didn't get the error. And for Opera, which had never visited the chatroom before there was no error either. :D

Visited my chatroom again (hours later), error reappeared for Firefox but not for Safari or Opera.

(Wait, did I hit reply? Swear I hit edit.)

I had mentioned in my post #3 that there were other changes I was testing as well. Those other changes seem to have helped resolve the error. A user has been testing them all weekend and says he hasn't had any problems since.

I intend to release an update later today with the fixes.

I had mentioned in my post #3 that there were other changes I was testing as well. Those other changes seem to have helped resolve the error. A user has been testing them all weekend and says he hasn't had any problems since.

I intend to release an update later today with the fixes.

Great, I'll install it as soon as you do.

..Al

Archived