Login Automatically after registration?

Strike X

[quote name='Strike X' date='30 October 2009 - 09:28 AM' timestamp='1256909283' post='1873422']
I can't find this option anywhere in ACP to Login Automatically after registration?

When user register a new account, it should automatically login and then user need to validate their account via email.

The user is not logged in automatically if they must validate their account. I can't see much point, given that you require them to validate their account first anyways. After they validate, they are logged in automatically.

If you have account validation off, they will be logged in automatically.

Brandon,

First, I have EMAIL VALIDATION selected for my system. I use subscriptions extensively. It has been a major headache in my system to get new users to get to the payment screens. After reading your answer above, I learned something new about when they can get automatically logged in. That explains a lot.

However, is the Validation system truly working as advertised? If a user creates an account, he/she can immediately log into the system without any further action. I just tested this numerous times while playing around with one of the features. (What doesn't happen is the automatic login, but the email (or administrators) validation DOES NOT have to happen in order to log in.

Just an observation.

[quote name='ptrader' date='02 November 2009 - 03:20 PM' timestamp='1257193242' post='1874715']
Brandon,

First, I have EMAIL VALIDATION selected for my system. I use subscriptions extensively. It has been a major headache in my system to get new users to get to the payment screens. After reading your answer above, I learned something new about when they can get automatically logged in. That explains a lot.

However, is the Validation system truly working as advertised? If a user creates an account, he/she can immediately log into the system without any further action. I just tested this numerous times while playing around with one of the features. (What doesn't happen is the automatic login, but the email (or administrators) validation DOES NOT have to happen in order to log in.

Just an observation.

I'm glad the information helped. :)

And yes, the system is working as intended. We DO allow validating members to login (in fact, there should be a special "Resend validation email" for such members), but they are generally restricted until they vaildate their account (they are in a special group you can fine-tune via manage groups in the acp).

The primary reason they aren't auto-logged in is we present them with a special page that tells them they need to validate their account. I'm not against allowing them to be logged in right away, but 99% of the time it's not needed. They'll register, leave the site to go to their email, click the link in their email, and they'll then be registered and logged in, so the process is relatively smooth for most users when they follow normal work flow.

[quote name='Strike X' date='03 November 2009 - 01:39 PM' timestamp='1257273541' post='1875108']
That doesn't work here. Could be a bug?

If this is the case, yes. With validation off, users should be automatically logged in upon registering.

Hey Brandon,
Maybe I wasn't clear ... or I didn't quite understand your response.

If account validation is turned on - either admin or email - the user can still log in. Now, they'll be restricted to whatever is set for guests/validating members to see, but in all my testing (and I'd put it at the hundreds mark), I never was told by the system to validate the account first. I threw those messages away and continued with the subscription.

In fact, my instructions to new users was to ignore all validation messages and immediately log in so they could get to the subscription system payment screens.

So I guess I was wondering if that's where the bug is - when subscriptions is enabled, it doesn't seem to require the validation.

Maybe it's not an issue, but I thought I'd make myself clear.

[quote name='ptrader' date='08 November 2009 - 10:17 PM' timestamp='1257736653' post='1877192']
Hey Brandon,
Maybe I wasn't clear ... or I didn't quite understand your response.

If account validation is turned on - either admin or email - the user can still log in. Now, they'll be restricted to whatever is set for guests/validating members to see, but in all my testing (and I'd put it at the hundreds mark), I never was told by the system to validate the account first. I threw those messages away and continued with the subscription.

In fact, my instructions to new users was to ignore all validation messages and immediately log in so they could get to the subscription system payment screens.

So I guess I was wondering if that's where the bug is - when subscriptions is enabled, it doesn't seem to require the validation.

Maybe it's not an issue, but I thought I'd make myself clear.

I do know there was SOMETHING going on with subscriptions and validation - Matt got a ticket about it in our ticket system and I believe worked out a fix for the next release of the subscription manager. That's slightly different to normal functionality.

Archived