Search feature in forum is terrible :)

Sonya*

[quote name='AtariAge' date='12 October 2009 - 10:14 AM' timestamp='1255356858' post='1865741']
I agree with these suggestions. Searching these forums is often a lesson in frustration.

I would also suggest reducing the minimum keyword size to three characters instead of four. That would make it much easier to search for various technical terms, such as "css".

..Al

As stated elsewhere in this topic, this site should behave like a typical IP.Board installation so that folks who buy the product know what they're getting. That being said, 4 characters is the minimum search limit defined by MySQL, and while it is changeable, it's not something most folks will have access to change; most folks who buy IP.Board will be limited to 4 characters searches so that's what this board needs to do as well.

And, if you're going to search for a common TLA like CSS, you're going to get results that aren't helpful.

On another forum site you can search for 3 letter words and 2 letter words by using quotes "usa" for example - I am not sure if this is a built in feature or something written for the software - but perhaps this is a way around the 4 character limit?

[quote name='.Ian' date='13 October 2009 - 11:05 AM' timestamp='1255446319' post='1866072']
On another forum site you can search for 3 letter words and 2 letter words by using quotes "usa" for example - I am not sure if this is a built in feature or something written for the software - but perhaps this is a way around the 4 character limit?

They're either running Sphinx or they have done the change to MySQL I referred to. AS I said, it's possible to change this limit, but the vast majority of board owners will not have the ability to do so.

[quote name='Sonya*' date='12 October 2009 - 12:03 PM' timestamp='1255345413' post='1865708']
I am aware of MySQL full text searching restrictions.

I would just suggest 3 things that will make the search feature in this board more usable:

1. Turn off flood control or reduce it significantly for registered customers. They are your potential friends and not enimies :)
2. Makin boolean searching "this +that" by default, as there is no practical approach in searching "apples OR pines". And it is more intuitive as this is default in the major search engines throught the world.
3. Display only topics, not posts by default.

By the way, there is no such option in 'advanced' search form:
"Search titles only" - does not search in the posts body
"Search posts only" - is opposite to what I have suggested.

These changes should be underway - ASAP!

Advanced option "Do not show a post preview" should be the standard! The recent showing method is choatic and illogical...

I'm I correct in assuming you can tell IPB to use sphinx or not to? If this is the case could you have a configurable define for a search profiling mode? As in when you go to the search page it uses FULLTEXT normally, but there's an additional check box to use sphinx? If the reason why this forum uses FULLTEXT is to match the base line, there has to be a way for people to have their cake and eat it too. I would agree that searching on this forum is immensly frustrating.

Archived