Just a couple suggestions for improvement...

HannahPr

Hello!

We would love for there to be a way that once a password-protected forum has been opened, a member can lock it again without having to log out completely and re-enter all the passwords for the forums she DOES want to keep open. Sometimes someone wants to check something in a locked forum but then re-lock it, and currently the only way to do that is to log out completely, re-locking ALL the password-protected forums. I realize this is a cookie issue, but is there any way to add a button to a locked forum that members can click on to delete the cookie for that forum?

And one other thing...in the PM function, is it possible there could be a way of marking PMs that have already been replied to? This would be very helpful! Such as a little arrow or something showing up on the side of messages that have been replied to.

Thanks for your time!

Sarah R.

[quote name='HannahPr' date='17 August 2009 - 02:25 PM' timestamp='1250533552' post='1845191']
Hello!

We would love for there to be a way that once a password-protected forum has been opened, a member can lock it again without having to log out completely and re-enter all the passwords for the forums she DOES want to keep open. Sometimes someone wants to check something in a locked forum but then re-lock it, and currently the only way to do that is to log out completely, re-locking ALL the password-protected forums. I realize this is a cookie issue, but is there any way to add a button to a locked forum that members can click on to delete the cookie for that forum?

And one other thing...in the PM function, is it possible there could be a way of marking PMs that have already been replied to? This would be very helpful! Such as a little arrow or something showing up on the side of messages that have been replied to.

Thanks for your time!

Sarah R.

Just out of curiosity, what's the point in "relocking" a forum? :unsure: What does it matter exactly if the next time you visit that forum you don't have to re-enter the password?

It's just, this is the first time I've seen this requested, and I'm not really sure what purpose it would serve.

[quote name='bfarber' date='17 August 2009 - 08:25 PM' timestamp='1250537116' post='1845240']
Just out of curiosity, what's the point in "relocking" a forum? :unsure: What does it matter exactly if the next time you visit that forum you don't have to re-enter the password?

It's just, this is the first time I've seen this requested, and I'm not really sure what purpose it would serve.

We have a number of locked forums on our boards that a member might want to check but not keep open... Let me use myself as an example. I'm on the leadership team of our boards, so I have three different leadership forums unlocked (they are, of course, locked so only leadership can post/read there). We also have a number of other locked forums for various issues. I might want to check one of those locked forums if I need to, but then close it again so it's not always showing up in "View New Posts". Currently, to do that I have to log out completely, and then re-enter all of my leadership forum passwords. For the purposes of our forum, it's something that would come in very handy...

So basically, to answer your question, it boils down to posts from certain forums showing up in "View New Posts" and the member not wanting to see posts from that forum anymore.

[quote name='bfarber' date='19 August 2009 - 02:49 PM' timestamp='1250689790' post='1846247']
If we added a way for users to select which forums show up in the view new posts feed, would that be a sufficient solution? That's something that I think a lot more users would find useful, but should also address your primary concern?

Yeah, that would be awesome, actually!

[quote name='bfarber' date='19 August 2009 - 02:49 PM' timestamp='1250689790' post='1846247']
If we added a way for users to select which forums show up in the view new posts feed, would that be a sufficient solution? That's something that I think a lot more users would find useful, but should also address your primary concern?

I would love you forever if you did this. I have one particular forum on my board that 90% of my users have no interest in, so I've excluded it from New Content, but typically the 10% are up in arms.

[quote name='bfarber' date='19 August 2009 - 08:49 AM' timestamp='1250689790' post='1846247']

Yes, please!!

On my 2.3 forum I was using Adriano's "Block Forums from 'View New Posts'" modification. Apparently many of my users were taking advantage of it, because I'm being asked repeatedly why this functionality disappeared in 3.0. Adriano is going to convert this mod to 3.0, but it sure would nice to see it as a standard feature.

..Al

I think that's an excellent idea. If you think about it, it directly follows the same exact concept of "minimizing" and "maximizing" categories. You can minimize the ones you don't want to bother with seeing as you're not interested, and maximize them in case you want to have a look. Perhaps it could be integrated into a single feature? Or perhaps, integrated into a single feature, but also kept seperate. So that you could choose which forums to see the new posts feed from, but, it would automatically "uncheck" (let's pretend they're checkboxes) all the forums in a category you have minimized, as well as allowing you to re-check them regardless of it being minimized.

Not sure if you follow me, I'm tired. :D

Archived