Recently Added Posts

Teddy Rogers

• 1 month later...

Bump, I would like one too. I had a mod of it installed on my board but it failed miserably because it wouldn't update with the latest posts, so I removed it. The one I am currently considering doesn't check for permissions. Would be nice if we got an official hook for this.

This sort of hook is a lot more resource intensive than recently added topics. That's the only reason we haven't built an "official" one - we'd then have to support it, including on sites with 10 million posts running on a shared server with 32MB of memory and all that goodness.

[quote name='ikillbill' date='07 October 2009 - 06:06 AM' timestamp='1254891962' post='1864131']
please leave resource issue to us, just make a option for us to easily turn ON/OFF :)

It's not that simple though, is it?

When we get tickets from people saying "my board is slow" - if our response is something along the lines of "Well you're using a resource intensive feature on a huge site on a shared server - turn it off and you'll be fine", it rarely goes down well ;)
"But my board depends on it!", "You shouldn't advertise a feature that doesn't work!", etc...

Could the code for it not just be added into the "articles" database then those that really wanted this feature could then, take it upon themselves to go and get it install it and then any problems, it has to be there own fault, just like adding any other "mods/hacks" to their forums?

Not sure what the resource issue is here. All you're doing is basically displaying a block that contains the first 10 results from a "View new content" button press. I had a mod on my 2.3.6 site and no issues with it slowing down my forum. I am running a dedicated server with a medium sized and active forum.

I just want a block that displays the last 10 replies on my Portal front page. This allows members to quickly keep up to date with the most recent forum activity.

3DKiwi

[quote name='3DKiwi' date='07 October 2009 - 05:28 AM' timestamp='1254907730' post='1864159']
Not sure what the resource issue is here. All you're doing is basically displaying a block that contains the first 10 results from a "View new content" button press. I had a mod on my 2.3.6 site and no issues with it slowing down my forum. I am running a dedicated server with a medium sized and active forum.

I just want a block that displays the last 10 replies on my Portal front page. This allows members to quickly keep up to date with the most recent forum activity.

3DKiwi

But you're displaying that block on every page load of the board index, the most visited page of the forum. So it has to query for those posts, which is a query involving a join between the biggest table in the database (posts) and another sizable one (topics), plus checks for which forums it should be pulling from. It might work fine for you, and 90% of other sites, but those few that it kills their servers make it something IPS can't really include in the base product.

It's a relatively simple mod to make, it's just that the risk of resource usage on it makes it too dangerous to include in the software by default.

[quote name='Μichael' date='07 October 2009 - 08:37 AM' timestamp='1254919040' post='1864209']
But you're displaying that block on every page load of the board index, the most visited page of the forum. So it has to query for those posts, which is a query involving a join between the biggest table in the database (posts) and another sizable one (topics), plus checks for which forums it should be pulling from. It might work fine for you, and 90% of other sites, but those few that it kills their servers make it something IPS can't really include in the base product.

It's a relatively simple mod to make, it's just that the risk of resource usage on it makes it too dangerous to include in the software by default.

Exactly.

You brought up view new posts kiwi, and that is probably the most resource intensive (or one of the most resource intensive) functions in all of IPB. Running those same queries on virtually 50% or more of the page impressions is just not something we can do and expect the software to run well over all.

How about a block that rather than updating the posts on each board refresh, it would only list the "X" recent posts in the past, say, five minutes? Or ten minutes? I remember that supersmashbros' ibMarket mod did something similar when it came to giving money for posts. It's not perfect for a large board but perhaps it's an alternate solution? I'm not sure if the exact details but it would at least be fine for my board, I think.

I agree. A block that is only updated every 5 or 10 minutes would be perfectly adequate.

If the "View new content" search is such a resource hog then maybe IPS needs to rethink how members browse new posts. My guess is the typical user clicks on View new content and then clicks the topic that interests them. If they don't reply they can then either press the back button to get back to the new posts or do what I do and press the View new content button again. You would certainly need to press the View new content button if you had replied to the topic. So what I am saying in normal use the average user is hitting the View new content link quite a lot.

3DKiwi

[quote name='3DKiwi' date='07 October 2009 - 04:32 PM' timestamp='1254947558' post='1864412']
I agree. A block that is only updated every 5 or 10 minutes would be perfectly adequate.

If the "View new content" search is such a resource hog then maybe IPS needs to rethink how members browse new posts. My guess is the typical user clicks on View new content and then clicks the topic that interests them. If they don't reply they can then either press the back button to get back to the new posts or do what I do and press the View new content button again. You would certainly need to press the View new content button if you had replied to the topic. So what I am saying in normal use the average user is hitting the View new content link quite a lot.

3DKiwi

some users undoubtedly do behave like you're describing. Many others just go into the forums they want and look topic-by-topic. People who may find the site by a search engine might only see the front page, or a specific topic. Some people might only come and use the messenger to talk to their friends in there. Search engine spiders, or other crawlers, might hit any one of the dozens of available links on the page. In most cases, it's the board index that is the most loaded page, by a wide margin, that's the one that needs to be resource friendly.

No one is saying that this is a bad idea, I'm sure lots of people would like to see this as an available hook, it's just that it's not something IPS can unleash on every board, it will cause resource issues on the biggest boards that IPS then has to deal with.

• 2 weeks later...

The interest is obviously there. What about a new table, that only held the informations about the ten newest posts and will be updated with every post. It would be very small, easy to update & access - no resources needed. Why shouldn't that function?

There are two hooks already, but none of them is the solution for me:

(SOS30) Latest Discussions v1.0.2 - doesn't show a new topic and is very resource intensive.
(SOS30) Recent Topics v1.0.2 - shows up at the top of the forum.

[quote name='3DKiwi' date='18 October 2009 - 11:15 PM' timestamp='1255922103' post='1868649']
I note that the Unreal Portal has a Recent Replies block. I haven't heard anyone complaining about that using too many resources.

3DKiwi

Unreal portal indeed has resource issues. :) That block (I believe it's that block) is the primary reason. It does a group by against the posts table on what is effectively the "index" page of the site, thus the page most commonly hit.

[quote name='T3XT3' date='18 October 2009 - 01:25 PM' timestamp='1255886750' post='1868427']
The interest is obviously there. What about a new table, that only held the informations about the ten newest posts and will be updated with every post. It would be very small, easy to update & access - no resources needed. Why shouldn't that function?
The reason that wouldn't function is that your idea does nothing to check permissions. Exactly which posts do you propose should be stored in this table? Only posts that guests could see? Or that only registered members could see? Or all posts? As an admin I might want to see posts in any forum, but obviously I don't want posts in hidden forums shown to everyone. And if that table just stores 10 posts, but 3 of those are in admin/staff forums, then the block could only show the other 7 to everyone else.

The block I threw together to test this is as resource friendly as it can get while still checking permissions, and it's too resource intensive for the board I had it tested on. While it may work for 95% of the boards out there, the other 5% make it something that can't be included in the base product.

Archived