Feedback from my users on switch from vbulletin to IPB

Ditchmonkey

One of the most important issues facing Vbulletin forum owners thinking about switching to IPB is the reaction from the users. If the user experience changes too much, we could really upset our user base.

I am happy to report that since going live with my IPB conversion yesterday, I have had a lot of good feedback on the switch. However, there is one feature that many of my users, and myself, are missing from Vbulletin: in Vbulletin when a user visits the site, all threads that have new posts since the users last visit are highlighted in bold in the forum view. This is a great feature and my users really liked it. I'm hoping that IPB will consider implementing this to ease the transition from Vbulletin to IPB.

I know you're making a feature request, but here's something that should please your victims users...

in the ACP, go to Look & Feel, edit the skins HTML.

Forum View / forumIndexTemplate

Look for:

That will give you the same effect. :)

I'm sure there's a way to do it via CSS, but would still have to make use of the logic.

<if test="istracking:|:! empty($data['trackingTopic'])">{parse replacement="watch_small"}</if>

<a id="tid-link-{$data['tid']}" href="{parse url="showtopic={$data['tid']}" base="public" template="showtopic" seotitle="{$data['title_seo']}"}" title='View topic, started on {$data['start_date']}' class='topic_title'>{$data['title']}</a>

Replace with:

<if test="istracking:|:! empty($data['trackingTopic'])">{parse replacement="watch_small"}</if>

<a id="tid-link-{$data['tid']}" href="{parse url="showtopic={$data['tid']}" base="public" template="showtopic" seotitle="{$data['title_seo']}"}" title='View topic, started on {$data['start_date']}' class='topic_title'><if test="$data['go_new_post'] === true"><b>{$data['title']}</b><else />{$data['title']}</if></a>

Instead of showing the link in bold, we put an orange clickable icon next to the thread title, and highlight the topic marker all the way to the left.

It would be trivial to make the link bold through a skin edit.

Out of curiosity, how did Wolfie's edit through your display off exactly? I haven't verified it completely, but it seems to be close (if not actually the correct way to do it)?

What was wrong with wolfies code was that it shifted the thread titles way to the right and created a bunch of extra blank space. This could have been a copy and paste error on my part. I thought there was another problem but now I see that it is a forum behavior I don't understand and maybe you could help me understand:

You mentioned the orange icons and I looked at those but they were appearing for a great number of threads (at least the entire first page of results). Wolfies code made everything bold but now I see this is inline with the forum behavior. However it seems to me that the appearance of the orange icons should match the threads you see when you click "new content" which was about 10 total at the time of testing. Hundreds of threads were marked with the orange icons. Why the difference?

[quote name='Charles' date='31 July 2009 - 12:21 PM' timestamp='1249071677' post='1836250']
Try marking your board as read. Since you're a conversion IPB thinks that all topics are unread. Clicking mark as read will "reset" everything for you.

But that doesn't explain why the results for "view new content" differed from the threads marked as unread in the forum view. Is "new content" and "unread content" handled separately?

The code I put up just basically uses the same variable that is used for creating the orange "get new posts" icon. All I did was take it, see if it's set and if so, it toggles on the bold for that title. When I did it on my board it worked like a charm.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Charles' date='31 July 2009 - 08:28 PM' timestamp='1249072134' post='1836256']
View new content can show post since last visit or unread. It's an option in the user settings. By default it's since last visit.
[/quote]

Sorry. I know I saw this, but I for the life of me cannot find where this setting is. Can anyone tell me what to search for? I've now searched for everything I know, but I cannot find this setting anywhere... :(

Archived