Building all of the XMLs for an app to distribute it

Michael

When we are developing an app and we are getting to the point where we are ready to build all of the XML files in order to package the app for redistribution, there are several pages we have to visit to create these files. In addition, on each page we visit, typically the option we have to click to build that particular file will build a lot more than what we actually want.

Consider this scenario: I am working on an application that has language strings (both admin and public), modules, CSS, skin templates, settings, and bbcodes. Each of these items has its own XML file. In order to create that file, I turn on IN_DEV and go to a different page in the ACP to find what I need to do. For example, to create the XML of the language strings, I go to the Manage Languages page and use a form at the bottom to export the XML file for my app. Doing that not only creates the XML for my app, but for ALL apps. Next, if I want to create the XML for my modules, I go to the Applications & Modules page, click on my app, and then click the Export button there. That one, oddly enough, asks me to save the XML file on my computer instead of putting it into the application directory. To export my settings I go to the Settings page and click the Export All link there, again exporting stuff for every app instead of just the one I want to package.

What I'd like to see is a place on the Applications page where I have a single link where I can click to export all of the XML data for that app, and for just that app. There's too much running around that's needed to create all of these XMLs at this point.

I agree. A single point to generate all of the XML files for a single app would be nice. Going from one development release to the next, I'd sometimes forget to export an updated language XML file or what not. The single point to build your release would help me remember to grab everything (and I wouldn't have to use my checklist anymore :P)

Archived