Portal Page Title when Default App/Landing Page

Tiki Tiki

[Originally posted in the Tracker as Report ID #17058: Portal Page Title]

I'm sure this is "normal behavior," and not a "bug," but it doesn't work very well...

Portal set as default app and being used as one-and-only home page for the website...

You have to include the name of your website in the 'IPB Portal Page Title' box or you end up with a very non-descriptive title for your website's landing page. The inclination is to name the portal "Portal," but now your website's landing page is simply "Portal." Not good.

The problem is that when you add the name of your website to the title (e.g., "MyAmazingSite Portal"), you now get a breadcrumb trail that looks like this:

MyAmazingSite > MyAmazingSite Portal

or

MyAmazingSite Forums > MyAmazingSite Portal

Redundant, to say the least, since you really want something like this:

MyAmazingSite > Portal

Again, not necessarily a "bug," but shouldn't there be more control over the Portal's page title when it's a given that some websites are going to be using it as the default app / landing page?

There's a possible solution built into IPB, depending on your preferences.

There's a setting called "Remove default forums navigation" (search for "navigation" in live search) that will make it so when you are in another application, it becomes the "home" in the breadcrumb trail. In this case, your portal would be the first entry (instead of the board index).

Of course this applies to all applications, but it might be a viable solution for you.

[quote name='bfarber' date='20 July 2009 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1248109945' post='1829596']There's a setting called "Remove default forums navigation" (search for "navigation" in live search) that will make it so when you are in another application, it becomes the "home" in the breadcrumb trail. In this case, your portal would be the first entry (instead of the board index).
I kinda' like this and have set it to 'On.'

I'm not sure it entirely solves the problem for websites that are using the Portal as their landing page, though.

Let's say, for example, that I want my landing page to have a title like this:

I would have to enter that as the 'IPB Portal Page Title' in order to get it to work.

Which means my breadcrumb trail -- even with 'Remove default forums navigation' set to 'On' -- is going to be an exact duplicate of that mouthful.

I think what we really need are some extra controls for when Portal is the default app and being used as the website's landing page.

In the mean time, does anyone have some magical 'If' statements?

And something that will allow me to move the darned 'Portal' tab all the way over to the left? Or, better yet, remove the tab altogether, since the Portal is actually being used as the Homepage/landing page?

Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs, and more

You must change in 'globalTemplate'.

Search :

Edit the application public title to hide the original tab.

{parse variable="forumActive" default="" oncondition="IPS_APP_COMPONENT == 'forums'" value="active"}

Add before :

{parse variable="portalActive" default="" oncondition="IPS_APP_COMPONENT == 'portal'" value="active"}

Then, search :

<li id='nav_discussion' class='left {parse variable="forumActive"}'><a href='{parse url="act=idx" seotitle="false" base="public"}' title='{$this->lang->words['go_to_discussion']}'>{$this->lang->words['discussion']}</a></li>

Add before :

<li id='nav_portal' class='left {parse variable="portalActive"}'><a href='{parse url="app=portal" seotitle="false" base="public"}' title='{$this->lang->words['go_to_portal']}'>{$this->lang->words['portal']}</a></li>

^ Gonna give that a shot...

[quote name='tamplan' date='21 July 2009 - 05:35 PM' timestamp='1248212120' post='1830418']Edit the application public title to hide the original tab.

Can you clarify what you mean by this? Where would I do this?

To hide all the tabs and hide the first link in navigation.

Open 'SkeletonTemplate' in Portal templates, search :

That's all folks :)

<div id='portal_articles' class='left'>

Add before :

<script type="text/javascript">

$$('li.first').invoke('hide');

$('search').next().hide();

</script>

[quote name='tamplan' date='21 July 2009 - 11:02 PM' timestamp='1248213751' post='1830430']
To hide all the tabs and hide the first link in navigation.

Open 'SkeletonTemplate' in Portal templates, search :

That's all folks :)

This is the result :post-102610-124821533889_thumb.jpg

<div id='portal_articles' class='left'>

Add before :

$('search').next().hide();

</script>

[quote name='tamplan' date='21 July 2009 - 06:07 PM' timestamp='1248214064' post='1830434']Follow the 'Edit Application Details...' link. (see screenshot)
When I do that my Portal/landing page becomes unavailable with the standard pink IPB error message. I did this before adding the template changes, though. Do I now assume those edits were absolutely necessary? I was trying to do some quick playing around without editing the templates.

Open 'admin/applications_addon/ips/portal/modules_public/portal/portal.php' and delete :

I consider this like a bug because the portal is installed.

I have open a bug report.

//-----------------------------------------

// Make sure the portal is installed an enabled

//-----------------------------------------

if( ! IPSLib::appIsInstalled( 'portal' ) )

{

$this->registry->output->showError( 'no_permission', 1076 );

}

• 9 months later...

I apologize for resurrecting an old thread, figured it was better than creating a new one.

[quote name='tamplan' date='21 July 2009 - 11:06 PM' timestamp='1248206819' post='1830371']In the portal skeleton, you can add this code :
[code]
</script>
[/code]
That hide the first link in the navigation.[/quote]
I'm wondering is there some sort of script like this to remove the the entire secondary navigation (breadcrumb) for just the portal?

If not, is there at least a way to get rid of that first arrow (">") before the portals name when you use the script you provided?

I'm wondering how [url="http://aionsource.com/"]AionSource.com[/url] managed to get their breadcrumb like that, if anyone knows? The portal and forum have two different starts.

[quote name='bfarber' date='20 July 2009 - 08:12 PM' timestamp='1248109945' post='1829596']
There's a possible solution built into IPB, depending on your preferences.

There's a setting called "Remove default forums navigation" (search for "navigation" in live search) that will make it so when you are in another application, it becomes the "home" in the breadcrumb trail. In this case, your portal would be the first entry (instead of the board index).

Of course this applies to all applications, but it might be a viable solution for you.
[/quote]
This would actually work out quite well for me but the first link on the forum index page is taken away when i enable this, not sure if that's a bug for me or if that's just the way it goes, i'd like that first link to stay (only in the forum index)!

[b]EDIT: I take it all back! That option ^ decided to work this time around. hehe.[/b]

Thank you!
-Kevin

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Basil555' timestamp='1287847283' post='2032875']
Could you please clarify 2 questions:
1) How can I change the default text "IPB portal" to the "Amazing portal" for example?
2) How can I change the content of this default portal page to the About comprehensive description for example?
[/quote]

1. The name on the "Portal" tab is set in the General Configuration settings: Website name. Change that to whatever you want.
2. The content of the portal page is done by editing the portal skin template i.e. Loook and feel > Your skin > Portal > skeletonTemplate

3DKiwi

• 7 months later...

[quote name='tamplan' timestamp='1248212120' post='1830418']
You must change in 'globalTemplate'.

Search :
[code]
{parse variable="forumActive" default="" oncondition="IPS_APP_COMPONENT == 'forums'" value="active"}
[/code]
Add before :
[code]
{parse variable="portalActive" default="" oncondition="IPS_APP_COMPONENT == 'portal'" value="active"}
[/code]
Then, search :
[code]
<li id='nav_discussion' class='left {parse variable="forumActive"}'><a href='{parse url="act=idx" seotitle="false" base="public"}' title='{$this->lang->words['go_to_discussion']}'>{$this->lang->words['discussion']}</a></li>
[/code]
Add before :
[code]
<li id='nav_portal' class='left {parse variable="portalActive"}'><a href='{parse url="app=portal" seotitle="false" base="public"}' title='{$this->lang->words['go_to_portal']}'>{$this->lang->words['portal']}</a></li>
[/code]
Edit the application public title to hide the original tab.
[/quote]

Is this advice still current, in 3.14?

Like the other poster on here, I find that my portal replicates the page title and the short title. However, in the other applications, I have my the application name then a dash then the board name.

I would like to do the same thing on my portal. So in my ACP, I have gone to System Settings - IPS Apps - IPB Portal and changed the page title to zzxx

So now, when I click on the app in the primary navigation, the page title reads "zzxx" as does the breadcrumb. However, in the Blogs app, the page title reads, for illustrative purposes and having followed the identical procedures, "yyww - board name"

I would like the portal page title to mimic the page title format of the blog app so that it would read "zzxx - board name"

Thank you for any ideas you have.

Brian

Archived