Board Notices

Logan

I'd like the ability to create custom messages to be displayed at the top of the board if the member viewing the board meets certain conditions. Example: If member's posts is equal to 0, display message "You have not yet made a post, we encourage you to get involved, etc...". Show congratulatory posts when they reach a certain post count, show a certain message to users in a specific user groups, happy birthday, message regarding inactivity and encouraging the user to participate more, if user is using default skin let them know other skins are availalbe, etc... I think it would just create a more personalized and friendly experience for the user in some cases if the admin wanted to use it that way.

So by default include a large amount of conditions, posts, join date, last active date, is in user group, date, inactivity time, post count between x and y, currently browsing x forum, etc... and be able to create multiple messages and use multiple conditions. I think it's also important that the user be able to "close" the message then save to DB, and perhaps make that a setting per-message "can the user close this message?". Be good to close if you set a message about other skins being available and they're happy with the default skin, but you wouldn't want it to close if the user has not yet made a post or hasn't been active.

I know this can all be achieved through skin edits and using the html logic, and now just PHP in the templates in IPB 3.0. But the templates start to get messy with all those skin edits, and can be difficult to maintain. Also, a lot of users aren't tech savvy enough to use HTML and PHP to display the messages they want. I think this would be very useful.

I can see it now. "Can you add a condition for people with hotmail addresses, IP addresses in the 89.* range, who have not been active for exactly 45 days, and who have less than 200 posts? I want to tell them about something that only applies to them."

This is an un-needed feature IMO. IPS will never be able to satisfy all of the conditions people will want, and this can already be accomplished very easily with minutes of skinning effort. If someone doesn't know how to write the if statement to check something, all they have to do is ask. If they're adding so many that they are getting confused, then they have gone overboard.

I +'d it too, wonderful idea. Could be useful when you have a member that's banned. It could tell them that they're banned and how they can appeal the decision. Same with accounts that you have found out are using invalid email addresses and you move them to a special group. Would let them know that they need to contact you about reactivating their account.. etc.

[quote name='Μichael' date='29 June 2009 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1246300281' post='1816927']
This is an un-needed feature IMO. IPS will never be able to satisfy all of the conditions people will want, and this can already be accomplished very easily with minutes of skinning effort. If someone doesn't know how to write the if statement to check something, all they have to do is ask. If they're adding so many that they are getting confused, then they have gone overboard.

The idea he's mentioning would be basically like making an announcement, where you can control which forums it appears in and what time period, except that it'd be a board message (like the one in the community forum, telling people it's not for IPS support) and per message, the admin/moderator could give certain criteria to be met before the message would be displayed. It would be dynamically handled, not special conditions per message, with those conditions being pre-included in a future release.

Well I think if the most basic conditions were implemented there aren't many people could request although yes, I expect some to be missed that would be requested just like hook locations. If posts, or days of inactivity conditions were just text boxes that allowed the user to input the exact amount, then that allows a lot of freedom. So you can make your own conditions per message really, and mix and match with the different conditions.

The main reason I want it is mostly for reasons .Wolfie mentioned, to display different messages to different groups, as well as encouraging users who aren't active to become active. And then as I mentioned, show a friendly happy birthday message, or something as simple as a congratulatory post when they reach a certain post count.

So all the conditions would be checkboxes, and you'd check the ones you want to use for that message. "User group", "Post Count", "Inactivity", etc...

[quote name='.Logan' date='29 June 2009 - 05:22 PM' timestamp='1246310556' post='1817044']
So all the conditions would be checkboxes, and you'd check the ones you want to use for that message. "User group", "Post Count", "Inactivity", etc...

Checkboxes:
Banned, Spammer, Suspended, Birthday and any custom fields that are checkboxes

Drop down boxes:
Primary group, Gender, etc.

Text boxes:
Everything else I would image

Should be broken into groups. Such as generic information would always be displayed. Advanced filters and custom field filters should be expandable.

Generic information should include Primary group (multi-selection), post count (less/equal/greater), banned/spam/suspended and ages (of account, last post and last visit).

Advanced would include when they registered, last posted/visited using date ranges, secondary groups and other settings are available. Birthday and age range (min and max) (so if the person turns '21' on their birthday, it could be a special birthday message). Date of birth (in the form of month/day to month/day, the age of the person would be covered above).

I know it sounds like a lot to do checks on but OMG it could totally rock, especially as hidden treats for members when they visit.

Would also like it if a message could be triggered if an event has passed for the member but they didn't visit when it would have triggered. ie, a birthday message. "[_] Show missed events on next visit?" sort of thing. That way it can say "Missed personal announcement:" and show a late happy birthday message.

It's not a bad idea, but I have the same concerns about it that Michael mentioned. Another concern would be resources, if the conditions were complicated enough it could become a really intensive query to run on every page load.

[quote name='Josh' date='29 June 2009 - 06:15 PM' timestamp='1246313718' post='1817079']
It's not a bad idea, but I have the same concerns about it that Michael mentioned. Another concern would be resources, if the conditions were complicated enough it could become a really intensive query to run on every page load.

Easy solution for that.

Each night, task is run which clears out a table of board notices.

Next time member visits, if the board sees that the person isn't in that table, it checks to see if they need to see any notices. Then it saves that member to the table along with all (if any) notices that they should be seeing. Obviously, if they're in the table, then it would show only those notices. If the member does something that changes their account (change email/password, which could be another determining factor for a notice), then it compares their confirmed notices again to remove anything that doesn't qualify anymore. Also, the person could [confirm] that they've read a notice (admin can choose which ones can be confirmed/ignored).

Archived