Suggestion IPB 3.0

Zero5854

Indeed, wouldn't be much of a performance mode if search was still on. ;)

That said, you're free to go re-enable it yourself after enabling performance mode. Performance mode is simply a shortcut that disables some unnecessary features that you can use during peak traffic times. You can enable/disable all of those features manually if you wanted, and you can mix and match at will (enable performance mode, and then go turn search back on for instance).

[quote name='Zero5854' date='23 June 2009 - 09:28 AM' timestamp='1245763693' post='1812885']
Perhaps the search should be worked on then if it slows the board that much! Maybe take some notes from phpbb?

There's only so much one can do. You'll have to understand the technicalities of search before understanding why it's such a resource hog. ;)

We do support Sphinx in IPB3, with improvements coming to it over the next few versions. If using sphinx, search is no longer usually an issue.

I understand plenty. I know its tough but Im just saying I would think there would have been more improvement on that by now so its not so much of a impact on the server to where it would slow ANY board down.
I say at the very least give people the option to turn on the speed mode with search on or off. Thats all I was saying. Search is crucial to most boards. If a person needs to use the speed feature even having some things disables will help quite a bit.

[quote name='Zero5854' date='23 June 2009 - 09:46 AM' timestamp='1245764815' post='1812892']
I say at the very least give people the option to turn on the speed mode with search on or off.

As bfarber said, performance mode just disables a bunch of settings. After enabling performance mode you can make a few extra clicks to go enable search. If you're using performance mode so much that it becomes a hinderance to have to enable search manually then I'd suggest you look into a better server.

Tweaking performance mode so that the admin can specify what to disable entirely defeats the purpose of it in the first place.

[quote name='Zero5854' date='23 June 2009 - 02:46 PM' timestamp='1245764815' post='1812892']
I understand plenty. I know its tough but Im just saying I would think there would have been more improvement on that by now so its not so much of a impact on the server to where it would slow ANY board down.
I say at the very least give people the option to turn on the speed mode with search on or off. Thats all I was saying. Search is crucial to most boards. If a person needs to use the speed feature even having some things disables will help quite a bit.

If you have a specific suggestion on how it can be approved, please share :)

Unfortunately saying "let's improve search!" is all well and good but... well... what exactly shall we do that we haven't done already? :)

• Management

[quote name='Zero5854' date='23 June 2009 - 09:46 AM' timestamp='1245764815' post='1812892']

If you did understand then you would realize MySQL is just not very good at searching and you would know there's nothing we can do about that. That's why we offer Sphinx support. It is good at searching.

For what it's worth, I'd be interested looking into other alternative search solutions in the future (such as Lucene). The search engine in IPB is abstracted to the point where we can accomplish this in the future should there be a good enough reason.

I think, though, that anyone interested in replacing their search engine would be happy enough with Sphinx anyways, so it's probably better to spend our resources on improving Sphinx than providing alternatives.

Unfortunately, as Charles said, there's only so much that can be done about MySQL...

well perhaps native full text search would be less on the SQL load. Its not quite as accurate but it could be a added option? However yes I agree with the Spinx option kudos on that one. My main thing though is that there should STILL be a option to keep the search on while using speed mode. At least try it and compare server load while search is on to see if there is enough of a difference to add the option thats all Im asking.

Just a suggestion not being rude :)

[quote name='Zero5854' date='23 June 2009 - 10:35 AM' timestamp='1245767754' post='1812920']
My main thing though is that there should STILL be a option to keep the search on while using speed mode.
And there is, as has been pointed out in this topic.

[quote name='Zero5854' date='23 June 2009 - 10:35 AM' timestamp='1245767754' post='1812920']
well perhaps native full text search would be less on the SQL load. Its not quite as accurate but it could be a added option? However yes I agree with the Spinx option kudos on that one. My main thing though is that there should STILL be a option to keep the search on while using speed mode. At least try it and compare server load while search is on to see if there is enough of a difference to add the option thats all Im asking.

Just a suggestion not being rude :)

IPB already supports native fulltext searching with MySQL. It's an improvement over the older method (post LIKE '%something%') naturally, but it's still not that efficient on a huge board, and unfortunately there's really little that can be done for us to make it more efficient. ;) That is why we've introduced Sphinx support built into IPB.

Archived