Translating IPB3

boon79

Hi,

How can I translate pahrases in IPB3 that includes links and other formatted texts? When I used HTML tags they appeared as part of the text.

And something else.
I'm not sure if it's a bug, if it is I will report it on the tracker.
When i translate something in the language files manually (so not in the admin area), and upload the file via FTP, in the file translate area of the administration the change don't appear (the text box next to the translated text is empty). is it supposed to be this way, or is it a bug?
Thanks

You're supposed to make changes in the ACP, not in the language files. It's similar to the way skin changes have worked for a while, the files are just built by what's in the database, the database doesn't get updated by what's in the files.

[quote name='Μichael' date='29 May 2009 - 04:06 PM' timestamp='1243609607' post='1806160']
You're supposed to make changes in the ACP, not in the language files. It's similar to the way skin changes have worked for a while, the files are just built by what's in the database, the database doesn't get updated by what's in the files.

OK thanks. And the first question?

[quote name='dtommy1979' date='29 May 2009 - 05:02 PM' timestamp='1243609327' post='1806156']
How can I translate pahrases in IPB3 that includes links and other formatted texts? When I used HTML tags they appeared as part of the text.

This is a known Bug which will be fixed in RC2

[quote name='Μichael' date='29 May 2009 - 05:06 PM' timestamp='1243609607' post='1806160']

So everyone that helps translate needs to have access to ACP? Thats not a good thing..

[quote name='DiaVoLo' date='29 May 2009 - 12:21 PM' timestamp='1243614091' post='1806182']
So everyone that helps translate needs to have access to ACP? Thats not a good thing..

That would be the equivalent of giving them FTP access so they can help translate in 2.*...

Somehow, I don't think either would be a very bright move.

[quote name='DiaVoLo' date='29 May 2009 - 12:21 PM' timestamp='1243614091' post='1806182']

Well, obviously you wouldn't just give ACP access to people who shouldn't be in there. If you have a team working on a translation, then I'd suggest you set up a test board for that, or give them the XML files with the text, or dump the contents of the database table that holds the language strings, or one of any number of other ways to get them access to the text.

I had a similar problem here, and since I got no answer to my post
and after seeing the recently posted "Synchronize Wordpacks for IPB 3.0 RC1 (v 1.0.0)" Hook, I decided to modify it, so that I can reuse my old IPB2.3.6 board translations.

During the process, I saw that "Synchronize Wordpacks" required a lot of queries, so I decided to change it a bit,
by using php arrays instead: probably this makes it a bit faster.
I could not avoid multiple insert or update queries though: I really don't know how to do batch (array) insert/update queries in IPB style(if this is possible somehow).

Instructions are provided as comments in the start of the file of the hook.

The Hook did a very nice work for me and updated my previous IPB2.3.6 translation!
Send your comments/questions here (or to the other thread) or and if some of you
find it useful, I can upload it to the Downloads section.

• 1 month later...

New version 1.0.1 attached with only one change to get rid of the "Out of date" translated entries:
Now inserts/updates the "word_custom_version" field from version number found in "word_default_version" fields for all inserted/modified entries.

To update the new translations (e.g. for 3.0.1) from the previous cache files ( e.g. for 3.0.0, assuming they contain up-to-date information for this version), you have to:
a) copy your (translated) cached files for the previous version to cache/lang_cache/<id of foreign language>/prev_version
b) DELETE ALL entries for the foreign language from IPB database (e.g. by running a "DELETE FROM `ibf_core_sys_lang_words` WHERE lang_id=<id of foreign language>" query OR (if you don't have access to MySQL/phpmyadmin by deleting the foreign language and re-creating it-although the latter is not very nice because the <id of foreign language> will change!)
c) Install the hook and Go to "Manage Languages"
d) Uninstall the hook (to avoid running it again)

I am aware that this procedure is probably considered "quite unorthodox" according to IPB staff,
but it works fine for me and I think it facilitates translation updates and team work for translating IPB cache files(instead of using ACP).

Archived