webhost upgrade to php5

Guest bern5

my host provides an option to upgrade to php 5 in my cpanel. All I have to do is click on a button and it's done. However it does warn that all htaccess files will be overwritten if this is done. They will back them up but I imagine this is a pita to set up new htaccess files all over the place. :blink: I wish to try out the new beta 3 of IPB 3 but upgrading to php 5 is gonna create lots of work for me with the htaccess files.....all my boards are 2.3.x series but one or two is 2.3.1 or 2.3.2 and I am not certain they will work on PHP 5 although the poster above thinks the 2.3.x series boards will. Any confirmation from IPS on this would be appreciated. ;)

I would suggest that you use something like xampp on your desktop Windows PC or MAMP if you have MacOS.

As well as testing beta3, you should test your existing boards to make sure they are compatible with new versions of MySQL and PHP.

There's nothing worse than upgrading a server, and THEN finding that you've broken loads of things. In particular, you should read the PHP5 versus 4 changelog. This details things in PHP4 that will not work in PHP5.

"great backward compatability" isn't "complete backward compatability" though, so it's always better to try upgrades in a non-production environment first if you can.

http://au.php.net/manual/en/migration5.incompatible.php lists the major incompatabilities between PHP 4 and 5.

Archived