word censor issue

Guest Andrεw

Heh, PopTart is referring to the ability to bypass word filters by embedding empty bbcode tags within the word as the "feature" being removed in IPB3. In other words, this is getting fixed and he doesn't want it to be.

Was a debate in the bug tracker between him and bfarber, don't have have the link and I'm too lazy to search for it right now :P

I, for one, think that the difference in opinion was clearly stated in the tracker thread, and continuing to beg for it to be un-fixed is probably becoming slightly annoying to the staff.

As bfarber mentioned in the tracker thread, if you don't want the badword filter, you can turn it off. People like myself and others who run sites where there may be minors that are active would like some control on what is viewed on our forums to make is safe® for them. Allowing a method of bypassing that without administrative approval is NOT ideal. I, for one, am glad that this little loophole is being closed.

Not sure what you tried to say there, FPT..... :blink:

But as was said several times above, if you don't want the word filter used then just..... TURN IT OFF.

I'm glad the ability is there. I, too, have a site that has children on it, and I don't want them to see the kind of language that the filter was meant to catch.

Isn't there or wasn't there an option for a word to be filtered if used exactly like something or slightly different? Someone would still be able to say faecesake all they want.

That is correct, you can set it up to allow shitake but not faeces. (I know that will change to faeces, but you know what I mean).

Archived