IPB 3, super moderators removed

Guest Zachary Stoler

Super moderators are SUPPOSED to have full privileges everywhere. That's the point.

If you want to restrict their permissions you need to use regular moderators. You could add individual members, or a moderators group (that is not set to be supermoderators) as moderators to forums from the forum management screen, and from there properly control their permissions.

We DO intend to make the moderator management better in 3.0. I won't get into details, but let's just say we have indeed listened to the complaints about moderator management and have some ideas on how to make managing moderators more efficient (such as the multi-select listed above so each moderator entry isn't managed individually).

I do NOT however see any reason to remove the super-moderator feature. If you don't want to use it, don't use it, like any other feature. There are plenty (and by that I would venture to say the majority) of customers who do use this feature.

I use super (or global mods) these two can mod anywhere and can warn/suspend people. My other mods are just responible for the forums they moderate and can't warn people. I don't want to lose any of these features.

Super moderators are SUPPOSED to have full privileges everywhere. That's the point.

You are still looking inside your box Brandon. The point I was making is that, if the moderation panel was manageable, one could just as easily create a super group as they could a regular moderator without there being a special property assigned to them that breaks the usual confines of how IPB handles moderator permissions. Even a "grant all" button within the moderator permissions page would suffice the same purpose. Doing so will remove the need for special checking and storing in the code specifically for the "super" branch since IPB could store that the user has "all permissions". After all they are BOTH the same thing, one just has all privileges.

We DO intend to make the moderator management better in 3.0. I won't get into details' date=' but let's just say we have indeed listened to the complaints about moderator management and have some ideas on how to make managing moderators more efficient (such as the multi-select listed above so each moderator entry isn't managed individually).[/quote']

That is what I want to confirm. I hope new opportunities will make an adding moderators to many forums and multiple moderators editing easier.

@Digi...bearing in mod "supermods" are carried over to other components too? There's a lot that happens there.

I understand what you are getting at, but I think the bulk of our users are rather comfortable with the super mod setup as it is. There's little benefit to separating it at this point. The code advantages you mentioned are moot, since we are centralizing permission checking routines, so the code will only be in one place now anyways.

Thanks :) This feature is not as critical as it looked from my posts and I understand that you must take into account only the numerous wishes. I only mention this detail of interface, I hope one day there is time to implement it, possibly in 3.0.5 or 3.2.1 :)

Archived