Improving your IPS home page...

Guest Teddy Rogers

Some suggestions for improving your site?

May you consider updating your home page a little bit it as I think it is a tad confusing and I am a long time registered owner and user of IPB. Making it easier to navigate to certain products, possibly having quick product links on the left rather than (or as-well-as) tabbed in to business categories. Including better product detail and information on those products such as Dynamic, Nexus and where is the information on Converge? I can't find any information on your home page unless I go in to the client center - but you already have to own IPB to do this.

It would be nice to have screenshots and/or demo's of those products (I know you have one for IPB) for people to try out and even have access to the admin areas.

Also I think it would be nice if you could include documentation as a seperate download in Client downloads. Documentation seems to be lacking or not easily accessible for some products (yes, I know there is the Knowledgebase).

Hope you take some of these suggestions on board <--- sorry for the pun... :)

Ted.

Hello Ted,

Thank you for your feedback! I can speak for the documentation part. We do offer IP.Nexus Documentation as a separate download on its own in the client center under the 'IP.Nexus Beta' download category, but I do agree that it would be an added benefit to add documentation for each product we offer as a separate download within the client center. Which specific documentation are you referring to that is "lacking"? I have just finished creating an IP.Converge Quick Start Guide that will soon be accessible to customers.

Thanks again :)

I know you have documentation for IPB and Gallery but you have to go to the home page and in to the specific IPB menu to get to it - if you know it is there. I only stumbled upon it because I was looking for information on IP Blog and I never knew documentation was there before :)

http://www.invisionpower.com/community/boa...umentation.html

Downloadable documentation and information that is missing or I can't find is; Blogs, Downloads, Nexus, Converge, Dynamic, etc. Maybe these documentations should also exist in their own public area so potential customers can download them and check out how the product works?

What I am trying to say about your home page is that I think it would be easier for new customers if things were presented better and easier to navigate. Include better and detailed product information, examples and demos. You have some great products but your home page just does not do them any justice...

Ted.

I am currently working on documentation for IP.Blog. Like I said, the IP.Converge Quick Start Guide has been created and IP.Converge Documentation will be expanded upon in the future. IP.Dynamic no longer exists and is now a part of IP.Nexus, and we will not release any documentation on IP.Nexus (apart from the Installation Guide, Quick Start Guide, and Content Tags Guide, which are currently available from your client center) until the product is in its final stage. :)

We're aware the website needs an overhaul, since it's last reincarnation was before our business line became one framework. As we get closer to the launch of Nexus, we will be redoing the website completely, refocusing the way we present everything we do. We welcome any suggestions :)

We're aware the website needs an overhaul, since it's last reincarnation was before our business line became one framework. As we get closer to the launch of Nexus, we will be redoing the website completely, refocusing the way we present everything we do. We welcome any suggestions :)

That's very nice to hear.. I agree that it does need to be redone :)

I am currently working on documentation for IP.Blog. Like I said, the IP.Converge Quick Start Guide has been created and IP.Converge Documentation will

*****SNIP****

I'm probably misunderstanding what you're saying, but was the IP.Converge Quickstart actually released yet?
I don't see it in my Downloads section, and the only documentation I could find for it is inside the IPBoard Developer Doc PDF.
Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Ted,

Thank you for your feedback! I can speak for the documentation part. We do offer IP.Nexus Documentation as a separate download on its own in the client center under the 'IP.Nexus Beta' download category, but I do agree that it would be an added benefit to add documentation for each product we offer as a separate download within the client center. [b]Which specific documentation are you referring to that is "lacking"?[/b] I have just finished creating an IP.Converge Quick Start Guide that will soon be accessible to customers.

Thanks again :)

How about instructions for upgrading IPB not being included in the upgrade packages?

To upgrade follow these steps:

[list=1] [*]Upload the files, overwriting your existing ones. [*]Go to

http://yoursite.com/xxx/upgrade

[*]Follow the un screen instructions.

[/list]After I finish upgrades, I usually rename the upgrade folder or remove it entirely.

I found that out after asking a few people :) . I would have thought those instructions would be included in the upgrade package.

And, it's interesting that you say that you usually remove the upgrade folder from your site, as I was told not to in this thread: http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...t&p=1719429

Well there have been cases where you get problems after removing the upgrade folder. I had to re upload my install folder for some reason

The upgrade and install folders are different - the install folder contains things which are sometimes used.

As Brandon says, you should remove install/index.php, but there is no need to remove anything other than that, especially as some of the files in there are occasionally needed (if you want to rebuild your master skin templates, for example)

Removing the upgrade folder is optional, as it requires a login to access anyways. It is recommended to remove the index.php under /install/ however for security reasons.

Will you encounter any problems in the future when upgrading if you remove the upgrade folder?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived