Permission IPSBEYOND

Guest BlackDrag

Hi,

I do own a Invision Power Board Perpetual License and did receive an invoice to follow with the support service.
Support Expired now.

The question is that I can't post, answer or see many categories in ipsbeyond.

I can download IP converge but can't access IP.Converge per example.

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.

Do I need to buy the 30$ support service to participate in Ipsbeyond ?

Thanks

I really think this needs to be reworked...In my opinion, people with expired licenses should still be able to download resources (skins, mods, etc.), but not be able to post to the Support section - after all, by their License details, they do own the board in every aspect except support.

I really think this needs to be reworked...In my opinion, people with expired licenses should still be able to download resources (skins, mods, etc.), but not be able to post to the Support section - after all, by their License details, they do own the board in every aspect except support.

I dunno, in that way they'd be consuming IPS' resources (bandwidth, etc) without giving back at all. I feel that people with expired licenses who have posted something to IPSBeyonds download system should be able to use the downloads freely, as they are contributing in ways other than money (i.e. helping make it the most comprehensive resource site out there).

But then, I think they're planning on all that sort of funky stuff anyway.

• Management

Much consideration and discussion (both internal and public) has been put into that policy. Ultimately, a perpetual license is simply the right to perpetually use the software and access updates. Early beta releases, access to IPSBeyond and any other perks or services we may offer now or in the future are and will remain limited to those who continue to further the growth of IPS and its products and services by maintaining an active license for the products/services they use. :)

Much consideration and discussion (both internal and public) has been put into that policy. Ultimately, a perpetual license is simply the right to perpetually use the software and access updates.

Early beta releases

, access to IPSBeyond and any other perks or services we may offer now or in the future are and will remain limited to those who continue to further the growth of IPS and its products and services by maintaining an active license for the products/services they use. :)

Then why do I have access to Nexus in the client area?

To be honest, the only reason I don't have an active license is that I think I don't have the money to spend on the 1 or 2 support questions I have in a year's time, that I can answer myself with a little time searching through the ACP.

Then why do I have access to Nexus in the client area?

To be honest, the only reason I don't have an active license is that I think I don't have the money to spend on the 1 or 2 support questions I have in a year's time, that I can answer myself with a little time searching through the ACP.

Anyone with access to the client center can download the Nexus beta.

As for user-to-user support, there are plenty of good alternatives. Having read/post access on IPSbeyond doesn't guarantee an answer to your issue(s) anyway.

Oh, that's easy. They'd bankrupt themselves if they were supporting people for their entire lifetime with no added payment. Think of it like this, you pay once a finite amount for support, then consume a potentially infinite amount of their resources (support tech salary, bandwidth, phone minutes). At some point, the amount you cost them would exceed the amount you made them. It'd just bad business sense, and would be criminal in a publically traded company.

@ Kyanar - couldn't it be lifetime but you have a set amount of calls/tickets you can send. It would be like having a cell phone service. Lets say 2 hours per month and 60 tickets? :unsure:

Nope. There is still the possibility that you could potentially cost more than you pay over a certain period of time. I'm not kididng here, single payments for lifetime support is simply not economically viable. It'd be nothing like having a cellphone service because last I checked, cellphone service was paid for monthly.

SwitchFX, the Lifetime license was $199 previously.

Exactly - I can only imagine what would happen if lifetime licenses were offered and everyone utilized the option. Imagine, after 5 years everyone who wants an IPB forum has purchased one, paying one hefty sum up front (say $500, just for giggles). After 5 years, no one is purchasing the software (so we have no incoming revenue) but we still have to release updates and provide support. How could a company possibly do that? Sure, it's improbable that everyone will suddenly stop purchasing forums (or whatever else we come out with) - but without any recurring revenue, I'd imagine it would be hard to sustain a business.

My .02

Exactly - I can only imagine what would happen if lifetime licenses were offered and everyone utilized the option. Imagine, after 5 years everyone who wants an IPB forum has purchased one, paying one hefty sum up front (say $500, just for giggles). After 5 years, no one is purchasing the software (so we have no incoming revenue) but we still have to release updates and provide support. How could a company possibly do that? Sure, it's improbable that everyone will suddenly stop purchasing forums (or whatever else we come out with) - but without any recurring revenue, I'd imagine it would be hard to sustain a business.

My .02

That is a very good point. Besides, I rather IPS worry about making quality products that we have come to know and love and if I'm running over my tech support minutes. :thumbsup:

My .02

Yes, If the IPB was $500, I will not purchase it. And everyone going to vbulletin, invisionfree, smf, phpbb and such free forum services. Anyway, I

no matter the cost a lifetime license would be more beneficial in the long run. I paid $300 for the lifetime license I have now. If your break down the license cost.

for Perpetual-$185 to start- $30/yr in 5 years time renewing support every year, It would cost me more than what i paid for the lifetime
Yearly-$70- renewal yearly once again in 5 years time I would pay more

Current Standard- $149 start $25/6 months- in less than 5 years i would pay the same amount.

5 year thing there funny how that worked out. No matter the cost a Lifetime license would always make more sense to buy.

Now looking at what bfarber has said, I would agree the offering lifetime would not be beneficial to them 5 years down the line.

Archived