Older Versions

Guest The Clash

Just wondering, why don't you offer older versions of IPB? I have a perpetual license, and in my client area, I have access to 2.3.1, and 2.2.2. I think you should offer at least the latest release of each series, and if nothing else, at least 2.1.7 as the minimum.

Can you either explain why you don't, or change it so you do?

I can understand it.. There are people who still use 2.1.x because they don't want to/can't upgrade their skins.. Have a specific mod that doesn't work in 2.2/2.3... I understand it.. But where I get confused is why they didn't save a copy of the forum.

Then perhaps specifically state that you don't offer support for it?

Also, Windows 98 is crap, has too many problems, and doesn't work like it should, whereas IPB 2.1 is just fine.

Windows 98 works just fine for some people. :) It's just outdated - much like IPB 2.1.

Technical support is generally only provided for the most recent two versions (i.e. 2.2 and 2.3). We do still get inquires about 1.3 and 2.0 and 2.1 - and we try to assist. But if there's a problem that isn't resolvable (i.e. it's not a matter of changing a setting, but a bug, for example) the solution will be to upgrade.

VBulletin also offers support for old versions and even safety updates for old versions free of charge so that one can always use also old versions for certain with a current license. It isn't all right that one is forced to buy a new license if one wants to use his old version for certain further, one already has paid a license for it. You know that all old versions of the IPB get useless with the time because the safety is endangered. I would like update because of new functions but not because of safety problems.

Yes, and IPS provides security updates for free to all (even, technically, those who PIRATED the software) because they post it on this very forum rather than just in the client area for any current supported version (actually, I think they even still give you security updates for 2.1.7).

Just wondering, why don't you offer older versions of IPB? I have a perpetual license, and in my client area, I have access to 2.3.1, and 2.2.2. I think you should offer at least the latest release of each series, and if nothing else, at least 2.1.7 as the minimum.

Can you either explain why you don't, or change it so you do?

.Garrett Hello,

IPS do not offer older version of IPB because nobody can use them. Like a programs that is coming with disk-pack.
Photoshop CS the root version (Updates for a year, upgrades and more..) if you need the newest CS Photoshop, you must purchase a new one. You can't use the newest if you have no license.

You're spending the time. It's not important, leave the other versions. Let IPS to doing their work. The IP.Board / IPG / IPBlog - The newest is the best than others versions.

Take care.
Thanks! :)

.Garrett Hello,

IPS do not offer older version of IPB because nobody can use them. Like a programs that is coming with disk-pack.

Photoshop CS the root version (Updates for a year, upgrades and more..) if you need the newest CS Photoshop, you must purchase a new one. You can't use the newest if you have no license.

You're spending the time. It's not important, leave the other versions. Let IPS to doing their work. The IP.Board / IPG / IPBlog - The newest is the best than others versions.

Take care.

Thanks! :)

Not true. I could point out several forums running 2.1.7, and are perhaps some of the biggest forums out there (probably why they haven't upgraded).

Photoshop CS can still be used as well - I actually was using it myself up until a couple weeks ago when I purchased CS3.

Newer may be better, but why can't we still use the old?

Yes, and IPS provides security updates for free to all (even, technically, those who PIRATED the software) because they post it on this very forum rather than just in the client area for any current supported version (actually, I think they even still give you security updates for 2.1.7).

Not completely true. Only certain security updates are posted directly on this forum and/or in the bug tracker. Other miscellaneous fixes only are included in the update packages (which require a license for access).

But back on topic. Really, the main reason why companies don't support older versions is that older versions tend to have very specific issues that probably were resolved in newer versions. From a support standpoint, it's just a huge mess to support every single version, especially when multiple new releases have been distributed. This is especially the case when there are significant code rewrites that change how certain features are processed for example.

IPB 2.1.5-.7 does not FULLY support MySQL5. Doesn't support it at all in strict mode. IPB 2.1.4 and prior does not support MySQL5 at all.

IPB 2.0.x doesn't support PHP 4.4.2 and higher.

IPB 1.3 doesn't support PHP 4.4.2 and higher OR MySQL4

As PHP4 is reaching end of life, I think you'll likely be seeing 1.3 going the way of the dinosaur. There are ways to mod it to work, but.. As MySQL5 comes along more, IPB 2.1.x will begin fading away. Then when MySQL6 or 7 or 8 comes out.. And so on and so on..

We do NOT sit and reply to tickets saying "You're running IPB 2.0.3 and it has reached end-of-life and we won't help with your problem. I had to fix a 2.0.3 forum yesterday.. I did strongly suggest the user upgrade.. But.. Now if a huge gaping security hole is found in it.. There won't be an official patch. Just like there isn't an official patch for the PHP 4.4.2 problem with IPB 2.0 and 1.3.

Your host decides its time to upgrade to MySQL5 and your 2.1.4 forum doesn't work.. Only choice is to upgrade. Or get them to downgrade MySQL.. And I hear about 50 people laughing at that. You'd have better odds of getting a laugh out of Leona Helmsley... without a shovel.

Not true. I could point out several forums running 2.1.7, and are perhaps some of the biggest forums out there (probably why they haven't upgraded).

Photoshop CS can still be used as well - I actually was using it myself up until a couple weeks ago when I purchased CS3.

Newer may be better, but why can't we still use the old?

Well That might be the case but they may not have time to update or do not wish to pay to get the newest version.

how ever i do know some who will not upgrade do to how many mods they have installed and how many changes they have made to the core system.

I do agree about 1.3 and am seeing less and less sites using it. Actually to think about it I think only the free hosted forums still use 1.3 but I know invisionfree is going to be making their own forum script and I have seen a few sites running the beta of that.

I would really like to see the land mark releases downloadable, or installed and viewable on a remote location. Not for use... But for historic reasons. Be able to see the history of each version and see the changes that took place over time. Of course it wouldn't be supported, but it would be nice to be able to play around with the older versions and really see how it all evolved... especially for those that came into this realm in the middle of the game.

IPB 2.0.0 and PHP 5.2.1

:D That Forum is running pretty fine without big problems (actually I don't know about all possible problems, because that forum is closed and used only as archive).

Maybe the IPB 2.0.0 is running on PHP 5.2.1 , IPS do not deal with the older version. Think about it. If you had an old car. and someone tell you that he has the new improve for your car (to get a new one), you will not take it? I know you would like to get the last versions because you want to see the changes and the histories things.

You can watch in the older version through the: Archive.Org or to download the full null version/not a null. from Kazza, Emule and other program-for-sharing.

as I said "Let IPS to doing their work", trust me.

I would really like to see the land mark releases downloadable, or installed and viewable on a remote location. Not for use... But for historic reasons. Be able to see the history of each version and see the changes that took place over time. Of course it wouldn't be supported, but it would be nice to be able to play around with the older versions and really see how it all evolved... especially for those that came into this realm in the middle of the game.

This is not an option "For a use". I think you have that on the emule. - you have a license for lifetime (Perpetual License) , right? You can use an older version (v.2.0.0 Final). If you wanna get the older version through the emule, you can do that. (I know it's wrong, but there is noway to get the older version).

As I know, IPS do not wanna go back - (to - the - older - version)
The new technology of the newest version. is it good for you? It's only important!

(Do not ask me, I do not know, Just only recommended).

-------------------------------------------------------

vBulletin also offers support for old versions and even safety updates for old versions free of charge so that one can always use also old versions for certain with a current license. It isn't all right that one is forced to buy a new license if one wants to use his old version for certain further, one already has paid a license for it. You know that all old versions of the IPB get useless with the time because the safety is endangered. I would like update because of new functions but not because of safety problems.

Let me tell you something.

IPS Company - it's not a vBulletin, vBulletin it's not an IPS.
IPS also offers assistance for older versions over-2.0.1 Final.
If there is a problem with the board, IPS will take care about it.

Don't Worry , Be Happy :P

We provide basic support for any version if you have a current license. We will not provide bug fixes for outdated versions, however, and we only provide security updates for the last 2 milestone versions at most. Generally, if there is an issue in an older version that's fixed in the current version, upgrade - we can't spend all of our time going back to older versions and applying fixes to them. Otherwise we'd never move forward (we'd be working on 1.3 right now trying to make it work with mysql5 or some such thing).

If you have an older version legally (i.e. you downloaded it when it was offered from our site, for example) then you are free to use it to your heart's content. If you can't find a setting, we'll show you where it is. If you run into a bug in the software, we can't go back and fix it I'm afraid.

Let me clarify... I have no intent in using the older versions at all. I was just pointing out that it would be cool to play around with the older versions (based on mile-stone releases: ..., 1.3, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3). With this it might be a better idea to have the boards installed on a remote location rather than providing them for download. If they were to provide the downloads, even though IPS would not support them, people would still ask for support. I mean... people can't even read the pinned message saying that these forums aren't for support.. But if they were installed and accessible to play around with, that would be cool.

Archive.org only gives you the physical look. It's usually just one page of what the skin looked like... What I'm talking about is more of a way to see how the board has really evolved by being able to examine it more.

Archived