Showing Users As Typing

Guest TestingSomething

I have mentioned this before, but since most people use fast reply it won't show them as typing. i wonder if it would even be possible to show them as typing. I assume it would be possible just as on instant messenger services it will tell when someone is typing. That would be nice becuase as it is you rarely see someone as typing in the user list.

I dont know. To me personally it would be just because it is pretty interesting knowing when people are typing. Someone may stay in a topic becuase they see someone is posting and thus wait to see what they said. It used to happen a lt on a 2.0 board I went to, but I guess not many used fast reply there.

I dont know. To me personally it would be just because it is pretty interesting knowing when people are typing. Someone may stay in a topic becuase they see someone is posting and thus wait to see what they said. It used to happen a lt on a 2.0 board I went to, but I guess not many used fast reply there.

Or maybe they posted more frequently in general?

I don't think it would be worth it. It would send more MySQL queries to the server. Besides when someone uses fast reply, doesn't that generaly mean their reply will be fast?

Given that if you go into the full post editor and then go somewhere else in another window and it doesn't show you as posting but instead viewing, I don't think it is absolutely necessary. It gives you a general idea of what someone is doing :).

when someone stops or starts typing won't it have to run an extra query each time to update the db?! don't see the advantage in this personally and i rarely check to see what people are doing or their location on the board so don't really see the use.

The only thing this would benefit is that people would know you are responding should you be using the fast reply box rather than the posting page. I don't see how the benefit outweighs the cost though :/

Archived