Anyone else back to default blue yet?

Guest Κeith

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I like this new skin, great for having a choice. I've been awaiting a sleek, dark blue or something skin. The old one is just that... OLD. And I checked around the other products like blog, gallery and have to say those fit nicely (except that the blog logo is the old one, bug?).

The icons aren't bad I like how they aren't stamped IPB anymore, so I wouldn't have to edit much at my site. I simply LOVE the book icons for blogs!

The icons aren't bad I like how they aren't stamped IPB anymore, so I wouldn't have to edit much at my site.

Yeah, that was another impetus for the skin - to remove IPB branding so that people don't need to do it themselves (except for the logo obviously, but that's kind of necessary).

Not having a license any more, I can't say much other than it looks like it'd be an easier forum to skin now. But despite not liking the skin at first, it's growing on me now. Good job!

It's nice, and a world more subtle than the blue one, but I can't help feel that it has maybe two too many shades of grey in it, especially on the topic pages. for each post, there's 5 different shades of grey for the different bars - top colour, bottom colour, side bar colour, post colour, quote colour - as well as the buttons. If it was cut down to two or three, it'd look a lot simpler. At the moment it gives a sort of closed-in impression.

On another note, have you ever considered cutting down how dependent IP.Board is on tables? There's a lot of wasted space in the topics and on the forum index because everything is in columns where it could be better done by divs and floats. For example, on my board, the post box only has two columns and two rows:

postexampleyx7.png

The date and IP have been moved into a float, giving more space to the actual post. That box also gets smaller when a normal member views it, as it doesn't have the IP or the mod checkbox in it. I've also removed mosst of the user information with the intention of fitting as many posts per screen as possible, but I understand that this is a matter of opinion. The buttons along the bottom are done with floats as well, so the amount of buttons to the left can't affect the widths of the table cells.

topicexamplelh6.png

For the topic, title and starter are in one box, so that a long username doesn't squash the title box. Posts and views are on top of one another as well, saving more space.

For me it isn't even that the colors are too dark. I don't mind dark, but I do mind the way this layout doesn't blend well with the colors selected. I like the effort and reasoning for the new skin, I just really think that the colors could use more work. :)

On that, any template can grow on you if given long enough. A good template is one that is acceptable from the beginning. ;)

For me it isn't even that the colors are too dark. I don't mind dark, but I do mind the way this layout doesn't blend well with the colors selected. I like the effort and reasoning for the new skin, I just really think that the colors could use more work. :)

On that, any template can grow on you if given long enough. A good template is one that is acceptable from the beginning. ;)

I disagree :P In my experience, users complain about even the smallest of changes to the skin at first.

Personally I think this skin is very proffesional indeed. It is a lot more modern, and I have pictures of seeing many IPB forums now, which may have previously used a close to default skin, being more different from each other which I look forward to.

At first I thought: *hmm maybe not* ...but it does actually grow on you. I don't think the grey post buttons match the skin though :unsure:
I'll do what I always do when I have an option: mix and match, depends what mood am in to which skin I use.

I prefer classic blue as well.

I also don't think the pro skin should be the default skin on new installs either, I understand that it's easy to customize and that's great, but out of the box classic blue looks the best. The new skin's colors really don't go well together, very dark blue, then very light it just doesn't work in my opinion neither do the very differently colored post icons. But, it is a simple skin and does have potential.

Archived