No editing of poll results!

Guest eyedam

Hello!

I would like to suggest to remove the ability for moderators to edit poll results (the vote count).

Either to remove the ability or at least let the admin choose if it is enabled or not when assigning a moderator.

Why was such ability implemented in the first place anyway?!

You know... The thing that bothers me about editing the poll results is when I go to edit a post I'm changing the results whether I like it or not. What if someone votes while I'm editing?

Well, does it really gets logged when a mod edits the results not simply some spelling mistake in the question?

I think exactly removing that ability would allow admins to not babysit their mods so much. Viewing the logs and actively keeping track of what mods are doing is exactly the babysitting, isn't it? Instead I just allow what is necessary for their job and let them be.

And regarding the trust. Why can admins set different mod permissions to different mods/mod groups anyway then? Let all of them be super-mods and that's it. BTW, I don't even see any usefulness of this result editing ability. Except for testing how far can you trust your mods, of course.

There are many qualities you want for a good moderator, and often you can pretty much get along without a full trust. Tampering with the vote count - which may be hard to uncover - could be too tempting, especially for not very important or funny polls. But I don't want even that.

This should be left as an option. I have to (and sometimes want to) edit the results, plus I want to be able to (and can) trust some mods with the poll result editing capability; so I hope that if this is implemented; that it is left as an option only and not removed entirely.

Well, the thing is the poll result editing was disabled in previous versions of IPB. And then suddenly they changed this by enabling (implementing) the result editing. I think if they decided to implement it they should have made it as an option from the start. Like

I don't have a problem with being able to edit poll results. I have a problem that when I go to edit the post I'm also editing the poll results. If I go to edit the post and someone votes and I hit the button their vote is lost.

I believe this is being addressed in 2.3.. At least the editing of the poll results defaulting back to 0.

There is a mod for Public Polls that was out for 2.1 that I think has some merit for being included in a future version. Basically it would allow you to make a poll "public", which would not only show the number of votes, but also who voted in the poll, and what they voted for.

Many people want to know who voted for what, and currently, it's not possible to determine that.

• 2 years later...
Guest Chewett

This is still needed in the forum software as im running 3.0.0 and there is still no option.. Just a small option in the settings to allow or disallow changing the poll results.

I have resulted to a Skin modification to fix it so if anyone wants to know pm me.

• 6 months later...

Cau :) When I clisk on Edit Poll button I can edit the Choices lines but i cannot change the number of votes.. (I am importing an old poll from another portal and want to cpy the old results so that our new users can continue in voting). on the right side of each Choce line there is only a red icon enabling me to remove the line...

Archived