We're allowed one test forum correct?

Guest Viperjts10

Am I allowed to use it with one other person if he's another admin on my main forum? Before I install a certain mod on my main forum, I'd want to maybe have another staff member see the mod too and give me suggestions if we should use it. And then if he was creating a modification for the forum, could he use it then too? He's another admin on my main forum so would he be allowed to use it too, or can it only be me?

I don't know how specific things have to get, but I know Debbie made a post about the specifics. I don't see the harm in having a couple of people test out stuff, because thats what I do. Just make sure you disable new registrations, and make sure the general public ie: me and other people can't access the board or register and stuff.

So what I do is lock it in a directory, so you need a username and password to see the board, and then an actual login to test out stuff. Just make sure people can't register or "use it" as a forum.

I don't know how specific things have to get, but I know Debbie made a post about the specifics. I don't see the harm in having a couple of people test out stuff, because thats what I do. Just make sure you disable new registrations, and make sure the general public ie: me and other people can't access the board or register and stuff.

So what I do is lock it in a directory, so you need a username and password to see the board, and then an actual login to test out stuff. Just make sure people can't register or "use it" as a forum.

Ok, thanks. That helps clear things up.

...or, to make it more simple, just turn the board offline. :blink:

I don't mean to go against policy, but whats the point of having a "local" test board since its inaccessible from the internet. When you develop a skin or testing a mod you want to have it in a "live" setting so that atleast one other person can see it and give approperiate feedback, that defeats the purpose of a test board if its local, unless its a personal test board.

So does that mean I have to configure my second license to match my test board, since I have 2 board licenses?

I think at the end of the day the idea is you can't run two sites from one installation. ;) If you have a test site blocked by .htaccess login methods, I'd venture to say you've made efforts to make it inaccessible from regular internet browsing.

Just want to make sure I have 3 Dev boards running but two can't be seen by IPS because two of them are on localhost using WAMP and the one is on my hosting account.

My understanding is that what you are doing is not okay unless you have three live licenses. But don't take my word for it, I'm just going off the emphasis they always use on "one test board"

My understanding is that what you are doing is

not

okay unless you have three live licenses.

Nope, he has to have two live licenses :)

By the way, if it is a test board and not online (I mean on his/her own computer) what's the problem if there are 1 or 10 :unsure: Nobody can understand this unless he/she reaches that computer.

You are allowed

one

test board per license. :)

What about if on your localhost you have two installed, but in different places on your computer, so to change from one to the other, you have to change the document root in the apache config :P

You're asking the wrong person - realistically, if the board or boards are on your localhost and not reachable from the internet, it's unlikely we're going to come to your house, knock on your door, and ask you to boot up your computer so we can see how many test boards are on there.

Nevertheless, the license is pretty clear in this regards - going 5 miles over the speed limit is likely not going to get you a ticket. But that doesn't mean it can't. :)

it's unlikely we're going to come to your house, knock on your door, and ask you to boot up your computer so we can see how many test boards are on there.

I'm glad my license fee isn't being used to pay for visits to license holders to check they haven't got IPB installed twice on their localhost :)

You're asking the wrong person - realistically, if the board or boards are on your localhost and not reachable from the internet, it's unlikely we're going to come to your house, knock on your door, and ask you to boot up your computer so we can see how many test boards are on there.

Nevertheless, the license is pretty clear in this regards - going 5 miles over the speed limit is likely not going to get you a ticket. But that doesn't mean it can't. :)

Well, if you do, can you pick me up some milk on the way here? I'm running out.

it's unlikely we're going to come to your house, knock on your door, and ask you to boot up your computer so we can see how many test boards are on there.

If this does happen I will get some cake for IPS. Nice Welcome mat for the guy that comes over. Who is coming, Lindy? :lol:

Archived