Unique Views / Viewing Own Topic

Guest Logan

Viewing own Topic

If the topic creator views their own topic, I don't think views should be incremented.

This came to me when I ended up editing a topic of mine several times, and I noticed this newly created topic had 7 views. I really don't see any reason at all why views need to be incremented if a topic creator views their own topic.

Unique Views

Count only unique views instead of each individual view. ex: If I read a topic 13 times, instead of increasing the views by 13, increase it only by 1.

This would probably be best as a setting.

1) I can see this, though it does actually make it inaccurate - even if YOU view your topic 7 times, the topic has indeed been viewed 7 times still.

2) This would be entirely too resource-intensive to store EVERY view individually, and check it when loading/updating the topic. I'd venture to say this will never make it in. ;) Those sites where some topics have had millions of views, I'd imagine this feature alone would cripple a dedicated server.

I too agree that the resources required to add such a feature would outweigh the benefits. In order to know if a view is unique one would need to store the "viewed already" member ids in another column in the topics table. Then to verify if a view is unique, an additional query would need to be made. This would happen on every page load for a particular topic >_<

Archived