Extremely Simple Suggestion: Bread-crumb nav at bottom

Guest W13

This is so easy to do, I don't even mind if it's a feature or not. (you don't even need to touch your keyboard, 2 mouse-clicks!) Only problem is, since I have this feature on my own forums, I'm so used to it that I always get a little annoyed at other forums (like this one!) that don't have that feature.

I'm talking about the bread-crumb navigation:
> Invision Power Services > Invision Power Services, Inc. > IPS Company Feedback > IP.Board

It's at the top, but not at the bottom. I use it extensively to navigate around - and mostly, from the bottom (after I've read a topic, obviously!)

You can see a demo on my forum http://www.zybez.net/community

It's pretty easy to do it yourself (just copy-paste the <% NAVIGATION %> after <% BOARD %> in header-footer-wrapper)... but I'd still like it as a standard feature. :-)

Open the skin editor and edit the board header/footer wrapper. Find the <%NAVIGATION%> macro and position it on the site how you like. You can even use it within actual skin templates should you only want it to appear is certain locations.

Anyway, this seems more a personal preference to me rather than a needed adjustment to the default skin. I'd rather not have it listed more than once. So -- from me on this ;)

Yeah, I personally don't see much point in adding/duplicating it to the bottom of the page myself.

When I added it, I didn't think I'd use it - but after trying it for a while, I use the bottom bread-crumb-nav maybe twice as much as I use the top one.

When I added it, I didn't think I'd use it - but after trying it for a while, I use the bottom bread-crumb-nav maybe twice as much as I use the top one.

I would use the bottom breadcrumb navigation if it was available as a standard feature, and feel it would be fairly useful, as sometimes I find myself looking for a breadcrumb navigation at the bottom after I've finished reading a topic, but alas, to no avail.

Open the skin editor and edit the board header/footer wrapper. Find the <%NAVIGATION%> macro and position it on the site how you like. You can even use it within actual skin templates should you only want it to appear is certain locations.

Yeah, I know how to add it myself- but I can only add it to the forums where I am an admin. What about other forums I visit- such as this?! :-) If it's a standard feature, then I can actually use it everywhere. :-)

• 3 months later...

Is the id="navbar" used somewhere other than css (eg. Javascript) or can we safely remove it?

how can we edit the links in the navigation bar?

[I want to add rel="nofollow" to all the links]

Why would you want to do that?!

Hack to use this feature everywhere: when you reach the bottom of the page, tap the "Home" key once to reveal the bread-crumb nav.

Or just click on the p_up.gif button in the last post on the page.

Having said that, I also add the navigation bar at the bottom too by editing the skin's board wrapper.

I want to edit the links and add nofollow tag because I want to properly organize internal linking system to get most rank to the first page.

Is this explanation ok?

Sure, I was just curios. And now that you mention it, something like this might be a good idea for me to do, too.

Archived