Help .. forum being hacked

Guest nadweb

You are running a version of our software that is a couple years old. As with any software that goes years with an update: getting hacked is a real possibility.

thanks
I will update to the newer version ..
but i think i got it where they changed the url ..i fixed it
thank you for your quick reply

Is it even legal to use a 'new' version of 1.3.1 any more?

Surely if you can't get a copy from IPS it must be illegal?

But if you had a copy from a while back and then installed why would it be illegal since it was free when you got it? I'm no lawyer but i don't now if you can be retroactive when it was free in the first place. You gust cant upgrade to the paid 2.0 version and up. Besides runing 1.3.1 you are asking to be hacked.

I still have the zip of 1.3.1 myself but the only thing i would ever use it for would be to upgrade up somebody who has pulled off on the invsionfree forum and has paid them to to get a back up of there db, then they can buy 2.2 from here and i would upgrade them up (1.3>2.0>2.1>2.2) to the current level.

But if you had a copy from a while back and then installed why would it be illegal since it was free when you got it? I'm no lawer but i don't now if you can be retroactive when it was free in the first place. Besides runing 1.3.1 you are asking to be hacked.

From what I understand it is legal to use if you downloaded it from IPS when it was free.

From what I understand it is legal to use if you downloaded it from IPS when it was free.

So the point being where did the copy come from, which you can never prove as the person could just simply say they got it 2 years ago, how are you ever going to prove they did not? Therefore the whole point becomes mute. Unless you saying that no one as of this year or so is allowed to use it at all since in it not currently free, then that would require you to retroractively change your free policy.

I guess it is a difficult situation. I was never here when IPB 1.3 was around, but was there some sort of registered members only download system? Or was it just freely available on the site?

It was free, I now i got it back then. What they did do was encourge people to register and pay a little to get support, but leagaly you could use it. look at Invisionfree they still use 1.3 because it is free, they have made some modifications to it but they could not do what there doing now with a higher version unless they brokered some deal with invision. I dont now if there is any current deal with invsionfree, but i imagine if there was then they would already be at a higher level then 1.3.

I more meant, did you have to register to download.

You making use my memory now, lol i dont think i did but also if i recall corectlly it did come free with some host packages much in a way phpbb does now when you sign up with some hosts.

The license terms changed at 1.3.1, that's why Invisionfree still uses 1.3. Starting with 1.3.1, if you were going to be using the board permanently, you were required to purchase a license. Also remember that it is illegal for anyone other than IPS to redistribute the IPB source files, so it wouldn't really be legal for you to set up some Invisionfree users with the zip you have; what you have is for your use only. Not that it matters too much, if you have the database from Invisionfree you don't need the files anyway...

The license terms changed at 1.3.1, that's why Invisionfree still uses 1.3. Starting with 1.3.1, if you were going to be using the board permanently, you were required to purchase a license. Also remember that it is illegal for anyone other than IPS to redistribute the IPB source files, so it wouldn't really be legal for you to set up some Invisionfree users with the zip you have; what you have is for your use only. Not that it matters too much, if you have the database from Invisionfree you don't need the files anyway...

What i meant was it was to be used as a tool to update there database not for other to use it. I have a freind who pulled off of Invisionfree and paid for the backup, they purchased 2.1.7 (at the time) what i did was restore there db on to 1.3 then upgraded them up to the 2.1.7. So the 1.3 was mearly used as a tool to ugrade them not as a live board. Now invsion does do this alot for invsionfree users for a charge, i was just helping him out as he paid for 2.1.7 and there was no live boaurd on the 1.3 since it was upgraded over.

And you are correct about redistribution only Invision can do that, my point was if you approach someone who has just installed 1.3, do you think they will tell you they got it from elsewhere, no they will say they got it 2 years ago, so therefore how could it be leagaly enforced if it did not require paid registration. I'm not advocating this im just looking at it from a legal perspective.

And you don't need to use 1.3 as a tool to do that. Once you have the database installed somewhere, the IPB upgrade script will take care of upgrading that to whatever version it needs to.

Technically yes you could just restore it and try to upgrade with 2.1.7, but since there are so many levels in between, I upgrade it first to 2.0.4, check it then jump to 2.1.7. Eitherway they have 2.1.7 that they paid for and the files for 1.3 and 2.0.4 are destroyed because they are upgraded over. Now with 2.2.1 out would you feel safe about using one installer to got from 1.3 to 2.2.1 ???

Technically yes you could just restore it and try to upgrade with 2.1.7, but since there are so many levels in between, I upgrade it first to 2.0.4, check it then jump to 2.1.7. Eitherway they have 2.1.7 that they paid for and the files for 1.3 and 2.0.4 are destroyed because they are upgraded over. Now with 2.2.1 out would you feel safe about using one installer to got from 1.3 to 2.2.1 ???

Yes. If I didn't trust it, I wouldn't use it.

So the point being where did the copy come from, which you can never prove as the person could just simply say they got it 2 years ago, how are you ever going to prove they did not? Therefore the whole point becomes mute. Unless you saying that no one as of this year or so is allowed to use it at all since in it not

currently

free, then that would require you to retroractively change your free policy.

That person DID install it two years ago though! Check out all his post dates!

If I remember rightly, 1.3.1 was not free to use, only to try. If you decided to keep it you were required to buy a license.

This particular board was installed on the 7th April 2005, long after 1.3.1, I wonder if it was still available for download then?

well i needed to update a ipb 1.3.1 forum last week so asked ips for it but they said they ain't giving it me so went and googled it and found it. so its definetly still on the net for download. Also theres a site which is updating ipb 1.3.1 which is dumb but go figure so they have php5 and mysql5 versions of ipb 1.3.1, they also release bug fixes and security updates.

Archived