Background music

Guest Leone Club

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

l have nothing against a music feature that has to be turned on, l'm just against one that has to be turned off.

:)

Agreed, i very rarely go to myspace but when i do i really hate having to click the music off every time. It would be nice if it was just already off and i could, if i wanted, turn it on. It would be even nicer if it was a universal setting like 'all music on/off by default' with cookies or something. Either way th0, it would be nice if it were just off by default, hehe. :)

hehe, Kyanar beat me with almost the same thing, lol.

Agreed, i very rarely go to myspace but when i do i really hate having to click the music off every time. It would be nice if it was just already off and i could, if i wanted, turn it on. It would be even nicer if it was a universal setting like 'all music on/off by default' with cookies or something. Either way th0, it would be nice if it were just off by default, hehe. :)

What O/S and browser? Not sure about Firefox (as I still use Deer Park Alpha) but Internet Explorer has a "Play sounds on webpages" option on the advanced tab in Internet Options. No help for Safari either sorry.

What O/S and browser? Not sure about Firefox (as I still use Deer Park Alpha) but Internet Explorer has a "Play sounds on webpages" option on the advanced tab in Internet Options. No help for Safari either sorry.

Oh, i just meant a setting within myspace or whatever site in question for all of their audio content. Good pointers for those who want to do that th0, thX. btw, i've been having page loading probs here also the last little while.

Indeed. The page issues seem to be intermittent, but still highly annoying.

I do like the idea of having a favorite song listed, and maybe some clip of it. Although actually I assume that would be copyright infringement?

As for space, i only use less than 1% of mine or my bandwidth. So space never matters to me, unless I ever get my sites active.

I think that should be left as a modification then. But I do know what you're saying. I like the idea, too - where it calls to a website that allows streaming instead of hosting the MP3 itself on the server.

.....This is yet again an option the designers can incorporate. But you also have the option not to view the member's public profile.

.....boycott >> well not everyone will have similar reaction to music as you...the mp3 allergy season is here. :thumbsup:

.....it's obvious that the people who love myspace well out number the haters....it will take an average employee almost a life time to earn what myspace makes in a day.

......NO. You shouldn't have to stop the music.

.....Instead, they can just boycott yours.

.....There's a reason people hate Myspace

.....This is yet again an option the designers can incorporate. But you also have the option not to view the member's public profile.

.....boycott >> well not everyone will have similar reaction to music as you...the mp3 allergy season is here. :thumbsup:

.....it's obvious that the people who love myspace well out number the haters....it will take an average employee almost a life time to earn what myspace makes in a day.

Again, no. It should not be a decision made by a sites administrator as to whether it's members can inflict horrible music on visitors. It should not be an option, nope. And by the way, since you likely don't work for News Corp or Fox Interactive, I'll assume you have absolutely zero idea how much money MySpace's ADVERTISING pulls in on an average day, and therefore disregard your comment about average employees taking a lifetime to earn <undefined amount>.

You mean Fox right ;)

Again, no. It should not be a decision made by a sites administrator as to whether it's members can inflict horrible music on visitors.

Well yeah, they can. Is it a smart thing? I don't think so, expecially because me and many others browse the internet listening to our own music, only to have our browsers jam up because it's trying to load music, 3 flash movies, 500 pictures, a dancing background, some crap falling from the top of the screen killing all clickables...

Yeah...

MySpace is a listed company so you don't have to work for fox to know their financial status. Will you conduct a pool in your forums and see your membership's take on the music thing on their public profile is. You sound more like a dictator when you give a blanket no no answer to this idea.

And by the way, since you likely don't work for News Corp or Fox Interactive, I'll assume you have absolutely zero idea how much money MySpace's ADVERTISING pulls in on an average day

NYHETER-01s15-saddam-73_368.jpg

Sure, you could take a poll and find out that your members might love the idea, but that doesn't change the fact this simply isn't feasible. So your host gives you plenty of space and bandwidth for this? Great. Good for you. 99% of the boards out there won't be so lucky. If you want such a feature, request someone make a mod for you. It's not going to get added into the forum software as a standard feature.

MySpace is a listed company so you don't have to work for fox to know their financial status. Will you conduct a pool in your forums and see your membership's take on the music thing on their public profile is. You sound more like a dictator when you give a blanket no no answer to this idea.

Obviously you mean poll, but anyway. How about no. As a web developer, I don't CARE whether the members want to play music in their profile. I care about visitors, and the impression they get. Music on web pages is the stupidest addition to HTML ever, and I hope to the hells that the next iteration of XHTML removes it.

And here's a suggestion. I'm pretty thick skinned, but some people would be deeply offended by your foolish, stupid, connection between disagreement with an idea and the brutal massacre of thousands, tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands of people perpetrated by dictators in history. Think before you post.

And here's a suggestion. I'm pretty thick skinned, but some people would be deeply offended by your foolish, stupid, connection between disagreement with an idea and the brutal massacre of thousands, tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands of people perpetrated by dictators in history. Think before you post.

People who scan these forums looking for negative comments to make over and over again, to the point of arguing, should expect to be called names occasionally. He certainly didn't accuse you of killing anyone, just trying to dictate what people can and can't request, at one stage you threatened to abandon IPB for VB if they brought in a mod you didn't like. Think before you post.

:)

Am still concerned about your terms of reference that "Music on web pages is the stupidest addition to HTML ever". That is obviously unfounded. I think the stupidest add-on is an ignorant web developer. :thumbsup:

As a web developer, I don't CARE whether the members want to play music in their profile. I care about visitors, and the impression they get. Music on web pages is the stupidest addition to HTML ever, and I hope to the hells that the next iteration of XHTML removes it.

Am still concerned about your terms of reference that "Music on web pages is the stupidest addition to HTML ever". That is obviously unfounded. I think the stupidest add-on is an ignorant web developer. :thumbsup:

No, it certainly is the stupidest addition to HTML. Web developers aren't (incidentally) an add-on to the Hypertext Markup Language. But perhaps I should have been more clear. Embedded background music which requires no action to start is a stupid function. Everyone agrees that it can be handy to be able to embed a media player and listen to music if you want to.

People who scan these forums looking for negative comments to make over and over again, to the point of arguing, should expect to be called names occasionally. He certainly didn't accuse you of killing anyone, just trying to dictate what people can and can't request, at one stage you threatened to abandon IPB for VB if they brought in a mod you didn't like. Think before you post.

Strangely, I'm also vocally in support of other things. And yes, like I said I would happily stop using IPB if it reached the point of bloatware. Don't start that topic up. And like I said, some people (not really myself, couldn't care less) would be offended by his usage of an image of Saddam Hussein in comparison. That was a stupid, foolish post. And YOU. You need to stop replying to every single one of my posts with an insult. More than just I have spoken against suggestions such as this, yet I am the only one Hamjat associates with mass murderers, and I am the only one you badger. Just shut up already.

Your profile though public is your personal web page.

No, it's not. It's an advanced profile page. You have to use it to find out information about the user. If you had a "member pages" module where members could design the look themselves... that would be a personal web page.

Really doesn't matter. You can always have it moded in if you want it that badly.

Archived