Background music

Guest Leone Club

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to have a background music feature on the

"User Page/portal"

. As we have witnessed music have contributed a lot to site like Myspace and iTunes. Mp3 files are smaller so allowing a member to upload a background tune to their page can be a fancy option.

In the name of everything that's holy, demons, DO NOT DO THIS!

Music has contributed a lot to sites like MySpace... including mass Firefox downloading, mass usafe of Filtering Proxies, inclusion of "Dear God Don't Play Background Music" options in browsers, and the "Mute" function of Windows Volume Control.

• Management

Background music is just plain wrong.

If you do want it, however, then you can just edit your templates.

Music is food to the soul.

That it may be, but someone who's allergic to fish wouldn't want anyone ramming fish down their throat.

OK, so the average mp3 file is around 3MB (roughly, that's the low end of the scale). Say you have 500 members that want to upload their favorite song to their profile. That's 1.5 GB of files they will upload. Hope your host gives you lots of space. And I hope your host gives you tons of bandwidth for those files to be downloaded by profile visitors to play them. And I hope your members have lots of free space on their computers to cache those files for each page they visit. This is just not a very feasible idea. Maybe if it was restricted to just certain groups, but I think even then it should be a mod you could add.

Exactly... great points.... and exactly why this would be limited to a mod for very specific people with very specific needs. Definitely not a standard feature that is most likely not wanted by the standard site op or admin. I'm sure a mod like this will peek it's head at some point th0. ;)

I would like to have a background music feature on the

"User Page/portal"

. As we have witnessed music have contributed a lot to site like Myspace and iTunes. Mp3 files are smaller so allowing a member to upload a background tune to their page can be a fancy option.

Why don't we throw in a five-man mariachi band wearing mustard-colored trajes de charro into the mix to! :lol:

Most hosting company's provide ridiculos amount of space and in most cases site owners only use about 10%.

Some of you here sound like you're in the board of vb or some other cms and kinda spin the good recommendations for ipb and make them look bad. :cool:

r u all Hanitized as in Sean Hannity:

Sean%20Hannity%202-751322.jpg

OK, so the average mp3 file is around 3MB (roughly, that's the low end of the scale). Say you have 500 members that want to upload their favorite song to their profile. That's 1.5 GB of files they will upload.

Most hosting company's provide ridiculos amount of space and in most cases site owners only use about 10%.

Some of you here sound like you're in the board of vb or some other cms and kinda spin the good recommendations for ipb and make them look bad. :cool:

r u all Hanitized as in Sean Hannity:

No, we pretty much just all agree with the one basic premise: Background Music on webpages is awful. Horrible. There is nothing good about music on a webpage where the visitor can't pick not to hear it. And as a side note, I don't think the Chief Software Architect of Invision Power Services is on the payroll for Jelsoft trying to make good suggestions for IPB look bad.

I can actually see the merits of having a music box cp in members profiles where users can turn off the music or select tracks like myspace does IF you had a music promotion site where members were promoting themselves or their bands or whatever. Even for a music fan based site maybe. I think that is what a few people here are more specifically talking about... Not index bg music with no ability to turn it off. If that were the case i would just have to say Why? why? why?

Sites that would benefit from this sort of a feature or want such a feature in the first place would be in the extreme minority and have very specific needs however. Hence the reason for it being a mod and not a standard feature. As would be the case with photo slide show mods, etc. I have no doubt that mods like this will show up in time th0 for those few specific sites that want them.

That would be a good contribution. The option to stop the music. It will be as easy as a click of a button.

Engineers don't socialize much :D

Damn you IPB. Damn you. Typed up a 3 paragraph post and it falls to the "Cannot find server"

Anyways, let's try again.

NO. You shouldn't have to stop the music. It should not be playing. Period. Got nothin' against a little embedded media player on the page that you can click "PLAY" to listen to a short clip of their favourite music or something, but I should not have to click "Stop" on a webpage. I have "Play sounds on webpages" turned off in my IE settings, and have no intention of ever turning it on.

Basically, if I visit a webpage while playing music in <media player of choice> I'll be somewhat irate with <insert list of webpages here> if my music is suddenly drowned out by screeching drawls from some band I don't like because the forum software made it possible.

What would be better is custom content block support in the profile, or profile portal add-in support. This would allow you to tack in support for music clips to be added to profile pages and whatever, without causing droves of people to boycott all Invision Powered websites. Instead, they can just boycott yours.

There's a reason people hate Myspace

Archived