Upgrade from vIPB 2.1.6 to IPB 2.2 Beta2

Guest Aeolustw

Hi,all

I try to upgrade IPB v2.1.6 to IPB v2.2 Beta 2 , all Chinese words change to ??????.
http://member.ipb.tw/ipb2b2/

But upgrade to v2.1.7 that works fine.
http://member.ipb.tw/ipb217/

Thanks.

p.s
MySQL variables

character set client utf8

character set connection utf8

character set database utf8

character set results utf8

character set server utf8

character set system utf8

collation connection utf8_general_ci

collation database utf8_general_ci

collation server utf8_general_ci

and set UTF-8 also in IPB ACP Document character set

Well, upgrading from 2.1.6 to 2.2.0 B2 wasn't recommended in the first place, as B2 is encoded and will expire later in the month. There will be an upgrade script, but I don't know how well it will actually work.

I am sure there will be an upgrade script, other wise no point in releasing the beta's

Well, upgrading from 2.1.6 to 2.2.0 B2 wasn't recommended in the first place, as B2 is encoded and will expire later in the month. There will be an upgrade script, but I don't know how well it will actually work.

the problem here is the current upgrading script in beta 2 doesn't work well with character encoding. I hope it'll be solved in the final version.

aeolusipb, try doing the following:

• Backup your cache/lang_cache folder
  • Manually add in any language vars that were not in 2.1, you will probably find them at the very top of the files in the lang_cache folder
  • Attempt the upgrade on another copy
  • Reupload the original cache/lang_cache folder
  • Tell us what happens
  • Report this bug in the bug tracker

Thanks all.
My live forum works fine, that's just a test link.

Hi,Professor P

aeolusipb, try doing the following:

* Backup your cache/lang_cache folder

* Manually add in any language vars that were not in 2.1, you will probably find them at the very top of the files in the lang_cache folder

* Attempt the upgrade on another copy

* Reupload the original cache/lang_cache folder

* Tell us what happens

* Report this bug in the bug tracker

My beta2 test forum show Tradition Chinese Language fine , like the picture bellow.
http://www.aeolusa.idv.tw/ipb/index.php?ac...post&id=218

The blue color frame in the picture are Tradition Chinese Language,and they show fine.

But the red color frame in the picture are the data in the MySQL,and they show wrong character.

I think this is not a problem and that will be ok when the final version release.

Thanks anyway.

The issue isn't with the IPB upgrade typically (I have seen similar things before) - it's typically with the act of exporting your data from mysql, and then reimporting the data. MySQL does a lot of converting when this happens I've noticed, and 99% of the time renders the data unreadable.

Try setting up a new folder to test with - import your database, and then put the 2.1 files there first to see if things still show up properly before upgrading.

What character sets and collations are setup on your existing server that you'd be exporting from?

Make sure the character sets and collations are defined in the sql dump file for the table definitions when you import the dump (and that MySQL doesn't just take it's default, which will cause it to convert the data during import).

IPB doesn't actually convert any of the post or topic data during the upgrade.

Archived