Taking the sting out of new pricing

Guest K. T. Walrus

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management

Oh I understand the reaction to pricing changes. There will always be some that don't care, some that are not happy, and some that thing it's a good idea. We purposely announced the pricing change very early so we had time to answer questions

More often than not you always get a good percentage that react without really looking at the whole picture. Then there are the people who, no matter what, you just can't please :)

But in the end current customers with Lifetime and Perpetual are not impacted. Current customers on Yearly are not impacted until their Yearly runs out. So if you bought a Yearly today then you have a full 365 days before you even need to care :)

Okay. I went ahead and bought another Perpetual license today. I guess IPS got what they wanted from me. Made me buy a high cost license that I won't need for a while since I can't take the risk that they will change the Annual licenses again to increase the cost.

Well. That certainly was $300 I hadn't expected to fork over this week (upgrade a Yearly to Perpetual and purchase a new Perpetual). Still would have taken the sting out a bit if they had offered a discount on the Perpetual. I should have bought these back when they were $140...

Oh! I hope they take all our money and hire more programmers to work on IPB. The feature upgrades have been fairly slow over the past 2 years since I bought the first 2.0 version.

At least they didn't do to you what they did to me. They flat told me in a ticket I could upgrade my expired lciense for the $115.05 and now they just say they amde a mistake and won't do it for me when it is right there in black and white that iw as told I could do it. So i don't know what I am going to do now. I think if another company did that they would have to stand by what they said in support.

Well for myself I am NOT buying it. I already have purchased 2 licenses when I got 2.1.4 and it was promised then that ALL future updates would be free, but support would run out after one year.

I'm pulling my hair out, and I don't even work for IPS! :lol:

If you purchased 2.1.x licenses then your terms remain the same. Perpetuals are as you described; nothing has changed, they simply won't be offering the perpetual license to NEW customers after 2.2 goes final. Yearly licenses allow you to run the software forever, but upgrading privileges cease after the license expires, as always. IPS, however, is converting yearly licenses to the new Standard license. This will allow you to have support + upgrades for $25 every six months--a savings over buying another license each year.

Invision needs to keep their promises, simple as that.

Show us where they've broken a promise?

...much cheaper competition...

I don't see how you figure this?

Invision will have to recognize that todays economy is getting worse! Everyone must tighten their belts and make do with less income. I personally took a $3 an hour pay cut recently. IPB should be LOWERING their prices to stay in competition, not raising them.

You think the economy is only getting worse for you and not for IPS? They are in business to make a profit, not because they are altruists. Just like Mercedes produces cars for clients wanting the best, IPS produces a community suite of products aimed at those who want the best of breed online community software. They never promised, "hey, we'll always be the cheapest!" or anything of that nature, so I don't see where you get the "broken promises" argument.

IMO, switching to a competing product at this juncture would be silly. You have the license now, and it is free to continue using and (even upgrading, depending on license type). What's the problem?

Whatever the case, I just hope it doesn't affect the modding community and affect the number of skinners and modders out there right now. If it doesn't, then hey, Im cool with that. I really hope someone, or IPS can take my suggestion into heavy account. It really opens a whole ton of new possibilites and I do not think it should be too complicated for the experts at IPS to do:

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=227235

My above post is an example of a promise being broken basically. :) Plus their past statement that it would always reain free.

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree. You weren't promised the upgrade at that cost, you were misquoted a price. Why would it be fair for only you to have that particular exploit awarded in your favor? The next thing is everyone would argue that since you got the upgrade at a reduced price, then they should, too (which would seem fair). I don't think IPS should have to do such a thing all because one representative made a mistake. We all make mistakes. In any case, this isn't a "broken promise" as it was not some kind of official company announcement. It was simply the goof of a single person within the company.

I think what mgalyen was trying to get at was that he's always been under the impression he will be able to upgrade his forums freely without the need for a renewed licence once it runs out.

Price increases of course have to be justified, and they obviously are - you're paying for what is now a better product than previously. Not to mention that all businesses have to pass on their own operating costs which increase every year in one shape or form (tax, bills, additional staff etc).

As for "always rein free", there was never a "promise" made, the product and company expanded so much it was becoming increasingly harder to maintain costs for servers and good levels of support. How can you really expect that from a product such as this which Matt, Charles and the rest of their workforce has work so vigilantly on and dedicated their lives to over the past 4/5 years? They deserve every penny.

Charles - I know you are giving people warning before price changes are put in place, are you planning on issuing a date for the described changes?

I think what mgalyen was trying to get at was that he's always been under the impression he will be able to upgrade his forums freely without the need for a renewed licence once it runs out.

Which if he has a perpetual or lifetime license - he will. Those license holders see no change in service.

With yearly license holders - upgrades always stopped after one year, unless renewed.

Nothing has changed in that affect.

• Management

Charles - I know you are giving people warning before price changes are put in place, are you planning on issuing a date for the described changes?

Before we set a date, each customer that will be impacted (Yearly license holders) will be emailed directly with a message specific to their situation. We want to take the dates and items that impact a person individually and let them know what to expect.

At least they didn't do to you what they did to me. They flat told me in a ticket I could upgrade my expired lciense for the $115.05 and now they just say they amde a mistake and won't do it for me when it is right there in black and white that iw as told I could do it. So i don't know what I am going to do now. I think if another company did that they would have to stand by what they said in support.

I just looked up your ticket and you were indeed told incorrectly and later corrected on that. I do apologize for that confusion.

I ended up renewing my yearly license today... well, I bought a new one, I coudln't figure out how to just renew it since it expired in February.

Maybe, depending on how much my paycheck will be next week, I'll upgrade it to perpetual before the first.

My only concern here is this.... With the Standard license - we're going to be paying *double* what we currently pay for a yearly license with only *half* the license duration?

Isn't that a bit much for a price change? I could see keeping it the SAME price for only 6 months, or making it maybe 100 or so for a year...

but to double the cost and cut the duration in half all at the same time?

It just seems a bit extreme to me.

• Management

I ended up renewing my yearly license today... well, I bought a new one, I coudln't figure out how to just renew it since it expired in February.

Maybe, depending on how much my paycheck will be next week, I'll upgrade it to perpetual before the first.

My only concern here is this.... With the Standard license - we're going to be paying *double* what we currently pay for a yearly license with only *half* the license duration?

Isn't that a bit much for a price change? I could see keeping it the SAME price for only 6 months, or making it maybe 100 or so for a year...

but to double the cost and cut the duration in half all at the same time?

It just seems a bit extreme to me.

I think you have your math wrong.

Currently you pay $69.95 per year.

With the change you'll be paying $25 every 6 months ($50 per year).

What happens if after my license expires - and I don't have the need to renew right away, if there aren't any upgrades or whatnot, or maybe if my forums are going slow, etc and i'm not worried about the support/etc?

Then - four or five months after my license is expired, am i still going to only be paying the $25.00 to renew? Or am I going to have to start all over with an entirely new license?

And Charles - I didn't do my math wrong.... with the new system, new customers (or existing customers that need another license) are going to be spitting out $175.00 the first year. Sure, after that it's only $50.00 a year, instead of $70.... but what is the benefit of "saving" $20.00 per year for years 2+ if you're spending $105.00 more the first year?

I'm not really complaining - because I'm not going anywhere... I'm just trying to see the logic in the price increase. I understand that this will be better for IPB as a business, just because it will mean making more money in the long run - but how is this justifyable to customers?

Archived