Taking the sting out of new pricing

Guest K. T. Walrus

What happens if after my license expires - and I don't have the need to renew right away, if there aren't any upgrades or whatnot, or maybe if my forums are going slow, etc and i'm not worried about the support/etc?

Then - four or five months after my license is expired, am i still going to only be paying the $25.00 to renew? Or am I going to have to start all over with an entirely new license?

And Charles - I didn't do my math wrong.... with the new system, new customers (or existing customers that need another license) are going to be spitting out $175.00 the first year. Sure, after that it's only $50.00 a year, instead of $70.... but what is the benefit of "saving" $20.00 per year for years 2+ if you're spending $105.00 more the first year?

I'm not really complaining - because I'm not going anywhere... I'm just trying to see the logic in the price increase. I understand that this will be better for IPB as a business, just because it will mean making more money in the long run - but how is this justifyable to customers?

If your support expires, you can simply leave it and renew at any time for $25 for 6 months.

From a business standpoint (I cannot speak for IPS themselves, but as a director I can make a generalisation that may in fact be the case) I would assume that such a decision [to increase prices] would have been made due to an unsustainable income under current market conditions. Generally what happens is that overheads go up, payroll goes up, but income doesn't go up to match. That's when you start to make some hard decisions. I highly doubt they just blinked in a staff meeting some day and said "let's abolish Yearly and Perpetual and double the amount people pay!"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived