IPS Branding on board downloads

Guest Antony

I'd like to see both the favicon included with each download removed and the "(Powered by Invision Power Board)" in every page title removed.

I understand that the Favicon spreads your company logo around a bit, and the title helps increase your search engine rank. But, I do think that it makes what could be a very easy upgrade somewhat of an annoyance. It might sound lazy of me that I cannot delete a favicon and edit a PHP file, but it would make my life that bit easier. :)

Of course I understand and accept completly if IPS doesn't wish to do this. :)

I just feel it isn't helping my search engine rankings nor the professional image of my site to have "(Powered by Invision Power Board)" in the title. Perhaps a compromise solution would be to have it in the base board but as an AdminCP setting that defaulted to on. Then, once I turn it off when I upgrade it won't revert back to showing it.

I agree about favicon. It really should be an icon/logo specific to the site not the forum engine the site is using (at the moment). I understand that it's not hard to not upload it, but I just don't see why it should be put there in the first place.

About the "powered by". I personally don't mind and it's a good indicator of the popularity of IPB (just google for that phrase and see how many results you get).

The cons what I can think of right now, is that 1) the page title gets too long when it could've been shorter. 2) It messes the content of the page title a bit with unneeded information for the user. 3) There could be more space for subforum names or thread names to be included.

But, as I said, I'm not against it very much and rather keep it than do an extra skin edit (for each upgrade and skin). If it was an ACP option I might remove it though.

the powered by text can be removed by finding it in sources/action_public/boards.php you can even change it to what ever you want it will be in there as

Find about line 191

$cp = " (Powered by Invision Power Board)";    

Change to:  $cp = "";

Im fairily sure it was said before that its okay to do that.

I agree about the "Powered by Invision Power Board" part, that should be easier to remove (i.e via the ACP if necc) but to be honest the favicon doesn't bother me at all since ive got the option to upload it or not :)

Yeah, but I usually just extract the new zip over the old files, forgetting about the favicon. Then it stays around in my cache for ages. :unsure:

Put your OWN favicon :D no cache problems, no nothing, even if it's a blank ICO

I just extract the files over the existing board from the zip archive, overwriting all existing files. Therefore, the IPB favicon overwrites my board favicon. Therefore, I have to remember to change the favicon with my own, and usually I only think about it after the upgrade is complete. :(

I just extract the files over the existing board from the zip archive, overwriting all existing files. Therefore, the IPB favicon overwrites my board favicon. Therefore, I have to remember to change the favicon with my own, and usually I only think about it after the upgrade is complete. :(

Heh thats how it is for ALL forum software, I hoped a buddy upgrade his vBulletin site, and accidently overwrote his banner...

The origional one is still on my laptop, and it was never re-uploaded... oops :whistle:

Archived