IPS Branding on board downloads

Guest Antony

If you're too lazy to not upload the favicon because it's there... Well... Don't be lazy! As far as the powered by thing... Yeah I can understand where you're coming from. But there are so many little things like this and you just cant always get them all.

I think that they should replace the link to invision power on the 403 forbidden pages ( the index files in directories such as Sources, Cache, etc. ) to the boards index page.

Although I'm not sure what relevence this has to this feature suggestion, I think redirecting to a specific error page would be better than just returning everyone to the board index.

There is also the IPS logo on nophoto.gif - why on earth is that there!?

This image is changed with the skin and therefore it doesn't matter.

If you change your skin, just change the nophoto avatar image then. :unsure: It's in the style_images folder.

That's just like saying "OMG I can't believe they put their logo in the default board header!" It's no different....we have to put something there.

Agreed - as we can acctually change the default skin and it won't come back every single upgrade we make.

If you're too lazy to not upload the favicon because it's there... Well... Don't be lazy! As far as the powered by thing... Yeah I can understand where you're coming from. But there are so many little things like this and you just cant always get them all.

This arguement carries no weight at all - IPS is including this favicon for no reason at all. When we upload the upload directory and run the upgrade tool everything should work just as before, apart from the issues that the upgrade resolves are fixed. The whole point of having skins is that we can customise the look and feel of our boards, and for me to have to do edits and remove files which add only inconvenience to the average board user. Certianly when I extract the .zip to my forums directory I don't expect the FavIcon to change. :)

I have no problem with the IPS copyright, or with IPS branding on the default skin. But to have branding that re-appears every upgrade and that isn't part of the copyright or the default skin is un reasonable and pointless. I do understand the reason for the (Powered by Invision Power Board) title originally to boost your search engine rankings. But now IPB is so popular I don't think it's important anymore.

IPS is including this favicon for no reason at all.

Well... it does place the relevant code in the board wrapper, to call the favicon. Which makes it easier for when someone DOES want to add their own.

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" />

Without including the actual favicon in the download too, it would cause quite a bit of entries in your server error logs.

This arguement carries no weight at all - IPS is including this favicon for no reason at all. When we upload the upload directory and run the upgrade tool everything should work just as before, apart from the issues that the upgrade resolves are fixed. The whole point of having skins is that we can customise the look and feel of our boards, and for me to have to do edits and remove files which add only inconvenience to the average board user. Certianly when I extract the .zip to my forums directory I don't expect the FavIcon to change. :)

#1) It's part of the default skin - which you are able to change
#2) You can easily choose not to upload it. It's not like overwriting your config file, which the .dist was included in the filename later. Doing the same thing for the favicon would be absurd. Same principle when dealing with /style_images/1/. Some custom skins use this folder because the skin was developed off the default. You would have to choose not to overwrite that as well.
#3) You can easily change it in the board wrapper to another file name.

Archived