Who would like to see a Reputation system built into IPB?

Guest fishsponge

First of all, sorry for the semi-duplicate post, but this is the most sensible place to post this poll, so if you need to close off one of these topics, please close the other one. Thank u :D

The reputation mod seems to be extremely popular, but also rather complex and/or time consuming to install. It also involves a lot of changes to a standard board, and for this reason, a lot of people (including myself) are going to rather put off by it, although we do still think it's a brilliant idea!

I have suggested to IPS that they include it in the standard product, but they have said it's better suited to a mod due to not everybody wanting such a feature.

See suggestion here: http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=208002

But... given the popularity of the reputation mod, and it's various "copies", i reckon there might just be enough people wanting it for the Invision people to start coding it into a standard build.

This topic is designed to get a rough idea of the number of people who would like such a feature built into a standard release of IPB, kinda like a petition, which IPS can then look at and hopefully see that there is indeed a demand for such a feature.

Of course, the built in rep system would have to have the ability of being disabled or enabled so we're not forcing people to use it, but surely it wouldn't be that difficult given that most of the code probably already exists for the warning system?

Anyway, whether you would like to see it in a standard build or not, please vote!! :D

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

l voted no because l polled my members a while back and the feedback was negative, they felt it would lead to arguments and members being picked on. l agree with those views.

If you want to talk about popular mods, things like the Shoutbox and arcade are far more popular, and l mean popular as in number of users and how well liked they are. But to include everything would turn the board into bloatware.

:)

i think you may have voted for the wrong reasons, although i fear your answer may still be the same in either case! lol

This poll is to vote as to whether it should be included in a standard release or not. It isn't really a vote as to whether you would use the feature.

I agree that there are people who do not want to use a reputation system, but that is why such a feature would have the ability to be disabled, maybe even by default.

So, even if you could disable the reputation system, would you still vote "no"?

mod pack? doesn't this still involve modifying files etc... ?

the whole point of building it in as standard, even if it's disabled by default, is to stop people like me having to modify lots of PHP files in lots of places only to find after 3 hours, we've missed a mod and the site is broken.

Rather than trying to convince other customers to vote in favor of something they don't want, why not go to the heart of the real problem. You addressed it in your last post here. The software needs to be designed so that modifications like this can be easily added w/o changing any php code in core files. If a piece of crap like Php-Nuke can do this, IPS should be able to do it too.

Perhaps this feature can be cleanly added using the current module system. Without good documentation, I suspect most folks have no clue how to write their code to tap into it.

See, the thing is, just because you (and/or other members) like a certain modification (regardless of whether it's a reputation system, a shoutbox, a portal, etc. and so on), for us to build in one on this premise (that some want it and those who don't can just disable it), that's like saying we should build EVERYTHING in that SOMEONE may want, as long as there is the possibility of disabling it.

Not to say this might not be a good feature (I believe it's better left as an addon rather than being built into the forum myself), but there are hundreds of other good ideas too. There are priorities.

Well, I agree the only problem about feedback is then newcomers to the forum can't really leave feedback because they don't have any credit against other members.. so yes, certain members will team up with others.

Why do users have to gain feedback before being allowed to dish out feedback, necessarily? I run a forum on which people can ask for help, and if someone has been on the forum asking for help several times, they are going to want to give a point to whoever helped them, but how can they do that if nobody has given them any points first?

Also, i agree that a much better modification system would make this a lot easier, and perhaps the Component system is a way of addressing this, but i don't know enough about the Components system to comment on whether it would be suitable for something like a reputation system.

Also, the purpose of this poll was to highlight whether or not enough people did wanted a built-in reputation system, and enough people did not want a built in reputation system to warrant coding it.

For example, if 256 people said "yes" and only 3 people said "no", then it may have been worth IPS's time coding such a feature, but given the current state of 19 vs 11, i don't think it's gonna happen.

Could the component system be used for something like a reputation system, or is it too integrated to be used as a component?

I voted yes because it would be nice to have.... and because as a mod, it would require quite a lot of changes i the ipb core files...

But I also say "no" because code for a voting system WILL slow down the board considerably as well...

It's a 50/50 situation: the feature itself is nice, and can be beneficial to a community.... but it will take it's toll on the overall performance of your board...

I voted no. I've seen karma and reputation systems turn forums into flame centers and have watched users created endless 'sock puppets' that exist to further attack a person's rating.

The only way I'd allow such a system on my forums would be if it were set up to allow moderators to assign the reputation based on their ratings of posts and user feedback within the threads. Otherwise, it would be set to OFF at all times.

don't forget, running the code may well slow the board down, but that's why we have the option of enabling or disabling the feature.

Basically, if the feature is disabled, don't execute any of the code! Admittedly it's one extra check in the database for a boolean value, but i wouldn't say that's a considerable slow-down.

I voted no. [b]I've seen karma and reputation systems turn forums into flame centers and have watched users created endless 'sock puppets' that exist to further attack a person's rating.[/b]

The only way I'd allow such a system on my forums would be if it were set up to allow moderators to assign the reputation based on their ratings of posts and user feedback within the threads. Otherwise, it would be set to OFF at all times.

If you're unable to maintain or take care of these issues why run a forum? and these can happen at anytime, not only just b/c of the rep system. Beside, It's NET and faecess happen all the time. Nothing NEW! same old same old... anyways, back to the topic...

--I voted "Yes" b/c I want it and it would also be awesome if IPB has it. I hope IPS consider of having it in the future release.

If you're unable to maintain or take care of these issues why run a forum? and these can happen at anytime, not only just b/c of the rep system. Beside, It's NET and faecess happen all the time. Nothing NEW! same old same old... anyways, back to the topic...

--I voted "Yes" b/c I want it and it would also be awesome if IPB has it. I hope IPS consider of having it in the future release.

I would like to see it, but their arguments are valid, this feels more of a modification thing, and that is no good excuse for it, oh it can happen any time, that's true, but the rep system multiplies it by a huge amount.

If you all want it, go to vbullentin, but I believe this is more of a modification thing.

I really have wanted something like this but have been afraid to install any mods because it will make upgrading to the next IPB version a lot harder, and maybe even cause me to lose all my mod information.

Users would not use it in bad taste. Why? Because there should be a setting that only allows users (and the admin) to alter someone's reputation points, if they have high reputation points themselves.

I voted yes since it is a feature that many of my forum members have used elsewhere (either on vBulletin or runboards) in either a karma or rep system setting. It's a feature that they ask for quite often.

It is useful since it does away with pointless posts like "I agree" or "excellent post" and allows n00bs the opportunity to see which posters are highly valued members and which have opinions and views that should be taken with a grain of salt.

Yes, it could lead to flamewars and such, but that is the nature of being a forum owner and admin :)

with regards to the whole flame war risk and the risk of people with high feedback being used as so-called hand puppets, a) this is indeed just part of managing a forum, and b) i think it depends strongly on the type of forum u run and the type of members u have.

For example, my IPB site is a Unix/Linux forum, and as such, the users don't tend to insult each other or start flame wars because the nature of conversation does not naturally lead to that type of thing.

Also, i'm not sure i like the idea of only letting people with high reps place votes for other users, because that will leave no way for the people who constantly ask for help but never give any to leave lots of positive feedback for the people who help them. I hope that made sense.

i think you may have voted for the wrong reasons, although i fear your answer may still be the same in either case! lol

This poll is to vote as to whether it should be included in a standard release or not. It isn't really a vote as to whether you would use the feature.

I agree that there are people who do not want to use a reputation system, but that is why such a feature would have the ability to be disabled, maybe even by default.

So, even if you could disable the reputation system, would you still vote "no"?

l voted no because l don't want to see it included for the reason l gave about bloatware, you just can't include everything.

:)

YES YES YES! (Please :) )

This is the one feature I really miss since moving to IPB.

I'd be happy to see it as a mod, but the point is nobody out there seems to be interested in coding it, hence the request to make it an 'official feature'.

This was one of the key features of my previous board, and my members loved it. Once people get to appreciate it and not abuse it it's a great, fun asset.

Archived