Who would like to see a Reputation system built into IPB?

Guest fishsponge

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think the poll necessarily speaks for itself.

We have thousands of users, and less than 100 votes. :blink: That's hardly an all encompassing view of our community. Probably 90% of our customers, especially the corporate customers who just want a forum and nothing more, visit this forum to see this sort of thing.

I don't make all the final decisions (or heck, any of them), but if I did I wouldn't vote for this feature. There are too many other features which I really truly believe SHOULD be added I'd rather see myself, and others, spend the time working on those. :)

I don't remember what I voted for. XD

But I think that the reputation system should not be implented, instead I see that IPS should move on developing other features for IPB. Such as an improved trashcan/post deletion. It makes forum mangement easier, this are like the features people like to see yes, but in reality, it's more of a modification-type thing I believe.

there are a couple of mods out there for this, but they are so involved, complicated and change so many files that they rarely actually after implementation, and given that so many people seemed to want a rep system, but didn't want to install one of the dodgy mods out there, it seemed sensible to try and get it built into IPB.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WOW..... Lots of excitment i voted yes because i feel IPS can better mod it to fit perfectly as a regular part of IPB I relize Vbulletin has it but i think we should have it as well with the ability to turn it on/off because it's a good way to get a board going :)

I don't think the poll necessarily speaks for itself.

We have thousands of users, and less than 100 votes. :blink: That's hardly an all encompassing view of our community. Probably 90% of our customers, especially the corporate customers who just want a forum and nothing more, visit this forum to see this sort of thing.

I don't make all the final decisions (or heck, any of them), but if I [i]did[/i] I wouldn't vote for this feature. There are too many [i]other[/i] features which I really truly believe SHOULD be added I'd rather see myself, and others, spend the time working on those. :)

Sorry for going a little off topic here but what would you like see implemented as standard. If you would prefer to keep it out of this topic then a PM will be suffice.

Thanks Steve

It would be brilliant, and some people go to vBulletin to have the Reputation System. I'd love it to be built it :)

EXACTLY! I was thinking about going to vB but I said no to myself because I like the way IPB is set up rather than vB.

So, if the new IPB 2.2.x dont have a rep system, then IPS just lost a customer. I will change to vB.

EXACTLY! I was thinking about going to vB but I said no to myself because I like the way IPB is set up rather than vB.

So, if the new IPB 2.2.x dont have a rep system, then IPS just lost a customer. I will change to vB.

I used vB in the past, and the reputation system really wasn't used by my members as much I thought it would have been. It's a really cool feature, but it may not be all that popular among your members.

For the most part, IPS builds in the features that most (or at least a good portion of) boards will need. When making suggestions like this Reputation system, you should consider that, not just whether you would like it for your board.

I would have no use for such a system, and I'm sure this sentiment is shared by lots of boards. I don't need some numerical indicator of the reputation of my members, each user should be able to formulate their own opinion of the reputation of other members and keep that to themselves.

i agree with you entirely, and i'm not saying "include a rep system because I want one". The purpose of this poll was to see if a large enough proportion of people did want a rep system, and if so, whether IPS would build it in.

If IPS feel that the current poll results do not warrant building in a rep system as standard, then fine, but at least we know :D

For the most part, IPS builds in the features that most (or at least a good portion of) boards will need. When making suggestions like this Reputation system, you should consider that, not just whether [i]you[/i] would like it for your board.

I would have no use for such a system, and I'm sure this sentiment is shared by lots of boards. I don't need some numerical indicator of the reputation of my members, each user should be able to formulate their own opinion of the reputation of other members and keep that to themselves.

Totally agree. I believe it would be a waste of time. I would rather see other features added or current features improved before a reputation system is even considered being added.

I voted no since I don't really have need for it on any of my boards.

on the other hand user rating/reputation is similar to topic ratings, so if ipb can include topic ratings, I don't see why they shouldn't include user rating system as well. I think vbulletin includes the repuation system by default as well...

I voted no since I don't really have need for it on any of my boards.

on the other hand user rating/reputation is similar to topic ratings, so if ipb can include topic ratings, I don't see why they shouldn't include user rating system as well. I think vbulletin includes the repuation system by default as well...

I agree. IPS has already dipped its feet into the water on the issue of ratings, and to good results, IMO. Ratings provide yet another fun means of interaction with a forum and its members. IPS might as well finally add user ratings. The admins who hate the idea wouldn't have to use it, so I don't understand their vociferous opposition.

or the most part' date=' IPS builds in the features that most (or at least a good portion of) boards will need. When making suggestions like this Reputation system, you should consider that, not just whether [i']you[/i] would like it for your board.

And, keep in mind, just because you wouldn't use such a system, doesn't mean others wouldn't. Indeed, judging by the results of this thread's poll, your position contradicts what the majority of forum admins would want.

Archived