Who would like to see a Reputation system built into IPB?

Guest fishsponge

It's not a matter of a few people not wanting it. It's a complete waste of time. It's one of those features that would, and should be, added after existing features are improved. I'm more concerned on managing my community (better moderator and admin features) than anything else. I dont really care what members think about each other. They can formulate their own opinion privately. In the end a reputation system turns into a popularity contest, and seeing this first hand on my competitions web site, who has vB, if it was every added to IPB I would have it disabled.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted No. I havent read people's responses above so apologies for that. Here is my take on it: no one cares about ratings because people can make up their own minds and ratings are biased and subjective anyway - hardly scientific.

Why not incorporate some really useful features, like a 'thanks' system as evident on avforums.com, or a 'similar topics' etc. There are many others that have been asked for on these forums, which will actually make a difference to this software (which is very powerful, but still, IMO, doesn't focus on features for a community to make use of the data it has generated over time)

I agree with FuSoYa and Cy above

And, keep in mind, just because [i]you[/i] wouldn't use such a system, doesn't mean others wouldn't. Indeed, judging by the results of this thread's poll, your position contradicts what the majority of forum admins would want.

So this one poll is all encompasing of the opinions of most forum admins, huh? What about the people who don't even know of this thread's existence? Or those that don't want to see this built in and thus don't bother to come in here and vote?

So this one poll is all encompasing of the opinions of most forum admins, huh? What about the people who don't even know of this thread's existence? Or those that don't want to see this built in and thus don't bother to come in here and vote?

I never made that claim. I simply pointed out the only evidence on the subject we have doesn't support your argument. You have nothing other than your own feelings to support your contention most admins wouldn't find this useful.

This poll, though, indicates the other side has a probability of being right.

I simply pointed out the only evidence on the subject we have doesn't support your argument. You have nothing other than your own feelings to support your contention most admins wouldn't find this useful.

This poll, though, indicates the other side has a probability of being right.

Insert what you said, but put your name in :shifty:

As he said, most admins dont care to the extent to even read this thread.

Insert what you said, but put your name in :shifty:

As he said, most admins dont care to the extent to even read this thread.

Okay. You've provided no substantive reason to believe most IPB admins don't care about a reputation system, just that many don't participate on the IPS forums. But let's say it's true. Of the ones who do care enough, most of them have voted for the reputation system. So your arguments still have no foundation whatsoever. You're using faith, not reason, to support your position. And that's no support at all.

This forum alone has 75,886 registered users. IPS Beyond has 6,397, which only customers can register. Also take into consideration that some customers dont even care about IPS Beyond and dont register an account. IPS has accounts like AMD, medical, etc... Companies that wouldnt care to register there.... So lets just say 6,397+ customers. This poll only has 114 votes for yes, 48 votes no, 4 votes maybe. This topic has 2,727 views. If each person viewed this topic 5 times, that's 545 people that have seen the topic. That leaves 379 people, that have seen the topic, that dont even care to vote. When someone doesnt care to vote, they usually dont care about the feature leaving it a "no" or a "maybe". If they had wanted the feature, they would have voted yes. Then you have the thousands of customers who dont even care to frequent the boards and see this topic. Those people are too busy to care about what other members think of each other, and would rather run their business and keep their forums moderated (more moderation features). So I would say atleast half of those people, that havent seen the topic, would vote no and a portion of the other half would vote maybe.

I know, I know "some of those people can vote yes". But you have to think about the logic above, and think about the logic of Administrators want to Administrate their forums. Most wouldnt care what their members thought of each other, and leave moderating to their moderators. If anything, they would want more features to make the job of the moderators, and themselves, more efficient. Most people wouldnt want to have a useless popularity contest.

So yes I do have a foundation to my claims :). And if you say mine isnt solid enough, your argument is no more solid than mine, which is what I was pointing out in my above post.

• 1 month later...

I'm aware I'm necroposting, but... :devil:

Koroush Ghazi, who runs the TweakGuides Forums--one of the most no-nonsense boards on the Internet--posted a good justification of a reputation system here. The good use to which TweakGuides has put the vB reputation system is one of the reasons why I think a reputation system wouldn't necessarily be the frivolous add-on some posters in this thread have said it would be. It'd only turn into a popularity contest if the system were unmoderated, and if a forum's membership were immature.

AdminFusion has also put the vB reputation system to good use.

I know' date=' I know "some of those people can vote yes". But you have to think about the logic above[/quote']

Busy company administrators don't care about smilies, blogs, photo galleries, rich-text editors, topic ratings, or fancy skins, either. That hasn't stopped IPS from implementing them, because they realize businesspeople aren't the only ones who buy forums software. Communities, clans, clubs, personal webmasters, and other entities and individuals purchase it, too.

You're presuming administrators wouldn't care about maintaining a vibrant community in which members can have fun and be rewarded for positive contributions. I don't believe that's a valid assumption. I'd say the majority of forums aren't established for and by coders. ;)

I'd wager most would want another way to reward positive behavior and punish bad (though not necessarily rule-breaking) behavior, though.

well, someone build a decent rep system as a modification as the current one out there either dont work or dont have a good standard...I wouldnt want it as a default addon as I dont require it on all my boards...so the bottomline is no as a default as I would want IPB to get on more innovations for the future releases than going with the tried and used ones like the rep system..surprise us IPB :D

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I am still up on IPS selves to make it happen in IPB 3.0!!

I would prefer to leave this to "admin" to enable it. That is if it's built in to IPB.

Yeah everything is always better as an admin / per user group option

Yep +1 for reputation system It's sorely missed from my conversion from vbulletin there is a mod but its a long hack :P

lol thats not a rep system in the conventional way everyone was thinking about and you know it.

For example reputation system mod @ IPSbeyond should give you some idea's as to what we all mean by reputation system

Yes, but "reputation mods" are extremely unprofessional - and most people don't use it, hense it is NOT built into IPB and left for pre-made modifications ;)

Yes, but "reputation mods" are extremely unprofessional - and most people don't use it, hense it is NOT built into IPB and left for pre-made modifications ;)

I don't know why people say no to it as long as its an admin option to turn it off or on I don't see the problem.
I mean if we are going to talk professional I don't see the new profile system as being "professional" but then again it's an admin option to use the old one should the admin choose to.
Either way professional or not there is a wider audience that likes the new profiles although I wouldn't call them professional.

Having said everything though I wouldn't call vbulletins reputation implementation as unproffessional and a good many large/professional sites do actually use it.I can't actually think of anymore websites off the top of my head though lol but my point is that Invision is inbetween the social networking and professional formats either way and as long as it's an admin option to turn on or off such features why the problem ?

Because even if it's an option it bloats the database, increases the size of the files, among other things - if you adopted this for every "mod" then IPB would be a huge ZIP file with neverending administration pages. They only add in things that many/most people will use, and quite frankly the reputation system is not one of those. Like I noted above, it's unprofessional as the poster above me agreed. It's just a popularity contest, where users can bash others and be stupid...

Archived