Re-Count Forum & Category ID Orderly?

Guest MasumX

It's not a big deal but I think it would be nice to have some small numbers to them orderly.

This is how it is now!

Invision Power Services, Inc -->showforum=180
-Company News and Updates --->showforum=1
-News and Updates Discussion --->showforum=271
-Sales, Customer Service, and Company Feedback --->showforum=278
-Test Posting Messages --->showforum=15

Look at the numbers!! And as you delete a forum or a category the #'s increases and it does not go by order. It goes by something like this; if you a had category #5 and after the deletion if you create a new category you will see the category forum # is "6" instead of going back to #5. Anyways, it would be cool if you guys have something to make them come in order or go by order.

What I mean?

Invision Power Services, Inc-->showforum=1 (forum)
-Company News and Updates --->showforum=2 (category)
-News and Update Discussion--->showforum=3 (category)
-Sales, Customer Services, and Company Feedback-->showforum=4 (category)
-Test Posting Messages--->showforum=5 (category)

Product and Service Development--->6 (forum)
-Invision Power Board--->showforum=7 (category)
-Invision Power Gallery-->showforum=8 (category)
-Invision Power Dynamic-->showforum=9 (category)

Note: I think Normal forum and category should go differently...like this

Invision Power Services, Inc-->showforum=1 (forum)
-Company News and Updates --->showcat=1 (category)

Same for the sub-forums, re-count them orderly or have a option to reset them orderly. I think that's too much to ask eh? or are you guys still wonder what I'm talking about here..

Sorry, I'm not a good explainer but I hope you guys understand what I mean. If you don't, ask me!! I'll try to sort it out! :thumbsup:

Every single link to those forums in search engines would then become invalid.

As for showcat, there is no point. A category is still a forum, just that its state is set to category as opposed to active. It's a subtle different, but it's still a forum within the framework of the software.

This would be a waste of time to do.

The increasing numbers is due to how mysql auto_increments work. If you delete a category, everything isn't reorganized to reuse the id #. There's no point, and on a table of, say, 400,000 records could you imagine how much overhead mysql would have trying to maintaing that?

Unfortunately, this would be more effort than it's worth, and all existing links on the site that use these urls would become invalid, making it even more work. And there is nothing to gain from it is the thing. :ermm:

This would be a waste of time to do.

The increasing numbers is due to how mysql auto_increments work. If you delete a category, everything isn't reorganized to reuse the id #. There's no point, and on a table of, say, 400,000 records could you imagine how much overhead mysql would have trying to maintaing that?

Unfortunately, this would be more effort than it's worth, and all existing links on the site that use these urls would become invalid, making it even more work. And there is nothing to gain from it is the thing. :ermm:

Very much agreed.

The only thing I can think of that would keep the forum ID#'s down is by taking the auto_increment value off the forums table and have admin CP scan for an ID inbetween that's not used or use the max value avaiable when creating a new forum. This would be the best idea of all, rather than rebuilding/reassociating topics, etc., but even so there's a problem with this idea: Search engine indexes a forum... You delete it, and a new forum takes its place. It may not be an invalid form, but its completly wrong to what the searcher was looking for.

Sometimes its best to leave well enough alone ;)

Archived