IPB 2.1.3 Released

Guest IPS News

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I agree, it's been in QA for a week or more, so early next week should be the date. It won't be thursday or friday as Brandon said he doesn't like making releases late in the week as then staff leave for the weekend and people are stuck waiting for support.

Updates aren't planned, if everything would go perfectly - there wouldn't be any point releases.

They are done as necessary, and once a satisfactory about of bug fixes were completed - the version is released. 2.1.4 is in fact done right now, just undergoing testing to ensure no issues when released.

Nothing in the software world is certain.

Glad to see IPS is releasing updates fast like this and fixing many bugs. Way to go IPS. :)

EDIT: Hehe... 5th post

lol that is not good at all if it goes so quickly.. for me that mean that IPS only wants to make money by quickly releasing all stuff and doesn't look at the quality.. <_<

lol that is not good at all if it goes so quickly.. for me that mean that IPS only wants to make money by quickly releasing all stuff and doesn't look at the quality.. <_<

How does IPS get more money by releasing more point releases?

Also, for your information - IPB has the least amount of point releases out of any of the big players...

vBulletin is on 3.0.10 (For their 3.0 Series)

phpBB is on 2.0.18 (Yes, 17 Point Releases)

The highest IPB has ever gone is 3 in 2.0 to 2.0.4, and while it's obvious 2.1 will have more than 3 - it won't be too much more. I anticipate 2.1.5 or 2.1.6 to be the last.

If all goes well, 2.1.4 may be the last of the 2.1 series. I/we can't say for sure how it will play out, but there haven't been any HUGE bug reports submitted since 2.1.4 was sent to QA. The bugs that HAVE been reported could be included with 2.2 or 3.0 or something, who knows?

Really, honestly, I don't even know how that will pan out at this stage. ;)

I know everyone who wants the release would like to get it now, but we really want to make sure there are no issues when it IS released. Don't expect the release at any time. There will be an announcement when it is available. It's very hard to say if it will be released this week or not. If QA doesn't finish until Wednesday, as Logan said earlier, that puts us at releasing a (large) point release late in the week on a holiday weekend....if there are any issues, everyone would be off until Tuesday of next week. It may be released this week, it may not. Everyone will be informed when it is. :)

How does IPS get more money by releasing more point releases?

Also, for your information - IPB has the least amount of point releases out of any of the big players...

vBulletin is on 3.0.10 (For their 3.0 Series)

[b]phpBB is on 2.0.18 (Yes, 17 Point Releases)[/b]

The highest IPB has ever gone is 3 in 2.0 to 2.0.4, and while it's obvious 2.1 will have more than 3 - it won't be too much more. I anticipate 2.1.5 or 2.1.6 to be the last.

phpBB 2.0.x Series has been out for 5 and a half years. Keep that in mind. And its free. You shouldn't really compare a free product to a paid product. I'm sure you will know why.

The problem with doing that though, is we would have to send the newest build (with the additional bug fixes) BACK to QA to retest. Who knows if I may have broken something else fixing the latest reported bugs (i.e. the pm popup window :rolleyes: ).

Unfortunately that would just put is in a loop. 2.1.4 is essentially "frozen" and once it is cleared and Management is ready to put it up, it will be released.

The other minor bug reports that have been confirmed, will not be making it into 2.1.4 most likely.

The problem with doing that though, is we would have to send the newest build (with the additional bug fixes) BACK to QA to retest. Who knows if I may have broken something else fixing the latest reported bugs (i.e. the pm popup window :rolleyes: ).

Unfortunately that would just put is in a loop. 2.1.4 is essentially "frozen" and once it is cleared and Management is ready to put it up, it will be released.

The other minor bug reports that have been confirmed, will not be making it into 2.1.4 most likely.

Oh, ok then. Well hopefully there is a 2.1.5 (never gone past x.x.4, break a record!) as I would imagine 2.2 and 3.0 are quite far off and there are still quite a few issues, with more coming in daily.

With that news though, I bet we'll see 2.1.4 this week. Or at the latest, next tuesday or wednesday.

• 2 weeks later...

I think if no ipb 2.1.4 comes tomorrow. it then doesn't come any more 2005...

I heard it was supposed to be released yesterday or today, but to eliminate any problems with support and upcoming holiday weekend - it was pushed back again another week...

Archived