Different Installer Design

Guest MrsSim

IPB is starting to expand more and more. So much that it has many redesigns done (think about it: IPB 2.1's ACP, IPB 2.0 BETA skin, etc.)

Now that IPB 2.1 is comming out, I think it would be better to change the way the installation script looks. I was thinking like something along the lines of this: http://the-fiction-place.com/ipb_beta_installer/index.html

(The links on the page don't work-- the button doesn't work either, I don't know how to make a button redirect to another page.)

It's a very basic layout, inspired by the new Admin CP design. However, well, at least in my opinion, it looks much more professional when the user first installs the forum. Plus, with most of the content being inside the table, it would be much less "elongating" and would not require the user to scroll down that much.

So... what do you think?

I suppose next we'll be wanting the convertor scripts to be redesigned in their appearance? Come on, you use the installer like what, once (maybe twice) to start a forum? What's the big deal?

I like the way it looks, it's sleek (which does NOT mean it's unprofessional), simple and gets right to it. Yeah, it would be *nice* to have a slightly different first-page appearance to it, just so it's something new, but gosh, it's not a big deal.

I think the installer they have now is fine, however they should change the background image since it's from IPB 1.3.1, maybe use a background image of the ACP instead :P

That's actually the reason why I created this new design: because the old one is still old, and has survived for about three years. It's time we have a change.

start a new topic (if you havent already) and give some details about the subroots, because i have a basic idea to what you mean by it but i'm wondering more on specifics. :)

Yeah, the images in the upgrader are broken on my board. >_<

I think that could be fixed if the installer were to offer an option to have itself auto-renamed to something completely random (and thus undetectable/unexecutable), that way the risk is gone but the images stay. Either that or have the images moved to another folder and have them called from there.

forget the installer design do mroe important things :P like my subroots :P

You know I started this topic with a perpose, right?

That's actually the reason why I created this new design: because the old one is still old, and has survived for about three years. It's time we have a change.

Agreed! :thumbsup: I really like your design, and will skin my upgrade script to look like that too.

Archived