Expand Logging. It is so seriously lacking.

Guest OverDriveAdamJ

Matt,

While you're revamping the ACP. PLEASE finish the logging function and log all of the actions you take. There are like 3x as many actions that go utterly un-logged in the ACP as actually do get logged. Maybe even a "ACP/Moderator Logging Settings" inside of "General Options" that would log far more and give you the option of what to log like

Moderator Logs:

• Log moving of topics through:
    • post form
    • forum inline moderation
    • topic inline moderation

• Log editing of topic titles and posts content.
    • A before and after for the post (with an optional on/off). Some of us don't care how much space the logs take up and would love to have a depth level we can configure it at. And it does need to have the on/off switch for this option and all of the others as there are people who do like to save space.

• Log the moving/splittong/merging of topics better.
    • For example, when you split a topic it only gives the source topics ID # and not the ID number of the resulting topic. It is a very incomplete log of what has just occurred and extremely easy to lose said created topic and never have a complete log of it.

Administrator Logs: [*]Anything else I have not mentioned but has no logs, that too.
  • General Settings.
    • Most of the general settings remain utterly un-logged and there are now too many general settings to get any useful information from the logs in their current state.

• [*] ACP Skin Manager (on/off switch).
      • [*]A lot as deep as what template / skin set was edited and when. And who. Anything deeper is already handled by the skin state reversion system. As a side note to the reversion system it would be nice to be able to see a reversion history or maybe just the last reversion

I also agree- logs are extremly important for figuring out when and how stuff happened and who did them. IPB does some logging now, but I think there should be even more. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Archived